FLUID MECHANICS QUESTION: Froude's Number

In summary, the actual flow for the prototype spillway is 2 m^3/s. This was calculated using the length scale ratio and the given flow rate for the model spillway.
KAISER91

Homework Statement

A model spillway has a flow of 100 L/s per m of width. What is the actual flow for the
prototype spillway if the model scale is 1:20?

Homework Equations

qr = qp/qm

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt;

qm = 100 L/s per m = 0.1 m^3/s per m

Using the length scale ratio: Lr = Lp/Lm = 20/1 = 20

q = Q/b = VA/b = byV/b = yV

therefore, q = yV
hence, qr = yr Vr

yr = Lr which is 20

So how do I get Vr?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once I know Vr, I will get qr

Then I can resolve the flow for the prototype using this;

qr = qp/qm

qp = qr x qm

with qm given as 0.1

What is Froude's Number?

Froude's Number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics to characterize the relative importance of inertial forces and gravitational forces in a fluid system. It is defined as the ratio of the flow's velocity to the square root of the product of the gravitational acceleration and a characteristic length scale of the system.

How is Froude's Number calculated?

Froude's Number is calculated by dividing the flow velocity by the square root of the product of the gravitational acceleration and a characteristic length scale of the system. The characteristic length scale can vary depending on the specific application, but it is typically the depth of the fluid or the diameter of a pipe or channel.

What does a high Froude's Number indicate?

A high Froude's Number indicates that inertial forces are dominant in the fluid system. This means that the fluid is flowing at a high velocity and the gravitational forces are less significant. A high Froude's Number can lead to turbulent flow and potentially unstable conditions.

What does a low Froude's Number indicate?

A low Froude's Number indicates that gravitational forces are dominant in the fluid system. This means that the fluid is flowing at a lower velocity and the gravitational forces are the primary driving force. A low Froude's Number can lead to laminar flow and more stable conditions.

How is Froude's Number used in practical applications?

Froude's Number is used in a variety of practical applications in fluid mechanics, including ship design, open channel flow, and hydraulic engineering. It helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of fluids in different systems and make predictions about their performance. In ship design, for example, Froude's Number is used to optimize the shape and size of a ship's hull for efficient and stable movement through the water.