1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids - I wish the answer would flow to me

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    Fluids - I wish the answer would "flow" to me

I have two problems to do and I seem to suck at fluids...:tongue:
    The drawing shows a hydraulic system used with disc brakes. The force F is applied perpendicularly to the brake pedal. The brake pedal rotates about the axis shown in the drawing and causes a force to be applied perpendicularly to the input piston (radius = 9.53 10^-3m) in the master cylinder. The resulting pressure is transmitted by the brake fluid to the output plungers (radii = 2.14 10^-2m), which are covered with the brake linings. The linings are pressed against both sides of a disc attached to the rotating wheel. Suppose that the magnitude of F is 9.18 N. Assume that the input piston and the output plungers are at the same vertical level and find the force applied to each side of the revolving disc.
    A solid cylinder (radius = 0.150 m, height = 0.120 m) has a mass of 6.60 kg. This cylinder is floating in water. Then oil ( = 725 kg/m3) is poured on top of the water until the situation shown in the drawing results. How much of the height of the cylinder is in the oil?

I tried everything I could think of but just don't get it, could I have some clues? Thanks. :smile:
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    What are we solving for in the first problem?
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    That :smile:
  5. Dec 1, 2005 #4
    Forgive my double post o:)
    I got the third problem so no help needed there :smile:
  6. Dec 1, 2005 #5
    i really cannot get these and my grade depends on these :uhh:

No clue on #1

But for 2nd I try to find sum of forces and set equal to the weight of the cylinder, but it isn't right...
  7. Dec 1, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

The hint that gravitational potential is the same is a great simplificiation. You can focus on the equivalence of forces. Assume that the fluid is incompressible.

You exert a pressure of F/A. The same pressure appears at the two sides of the output plungers. The force would be again F/A. That help?
  8. Dec 1, 2005 #7
    Tried that and got 46.29

But wrong... so what did I do?
  9. Dec 1, 2005 #8

Homework Helper

Maybe you should try writing out your calculations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?