Flux of a Vector field of a square on a plane x+y+z=20

In summary, the person has been trying to solve a problem for multiple hours, involving finding the flux of a vector field through a square with a given orientation. They tried finding the integral of the vector field multiplied by the normal vector of the square's area, but got an incorrect answer. They then tried finding the unit normal in different ways, but neither answer worked. They are still unable to figure out the mistake in their solution.
want2learn!
I have been trying this problem for multiple hours now, and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

--Calculate the flux of the vector field F(vector)= 5i + 8j through a square of side 2 lying in the plane x + y + z = 20 oriented away from the origin.

I realize that I need the integral of the Vector field (F) multiplied by the normal vector of the area of the square. To do this, I assigned values for the points of the triangle made, and made 2 new vectors out of it. I crossed these vectors to get the normal vector of the plane given. Once I had that, I dotted the Vector field by the normal vector, then multiplied that by the area of the square.

The answer I got was 20800. This was the incorrect answer!

Can anyone help me!?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably working too hard to find the normal, but you can do it that way. Did you find the UNIT normal or just any normal? Show the details of your solution if you are still confused.

If you got (-1,-1,-1)/sqrt(3) for the unit normal and -52/sqrt(3) for the flux, then are you sure you've got the unit normal pointed in the right direction? The problem says it's oriented 'away from the origin'.

I tried it both ways. The normal ends up being the same magnitude either way, and neither answer works.

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong :(

If you tried 4*13/sqrt(3) with both signs, I'm not sure what the problem is either.

1. What is the flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field represents the amount of fluid, energy, or particles flowing through a surface in a given amount of time. It is a measure of the flow or movement of the vector field.

2. How is the flux of a vector field calculated?

The flux of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the normal vector of the surface it is passing through. This product is then integrated over the surface to find the total flux.

3. What is a square on a plane?

A square on a plane is a four-sided geometric shape with all sides equal in length and all angles equal to 90 degrees. It lies on a flat surface with two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes.

4. How is the flux of a vector field of a square on a plane calculated?

The flux of a vector field of a square on a plane is calculated by finding the dot product of the vector field with the normal vector of the square, integrating this product over the surface of the square, and then multiplying by the surface area of the square.

5. What is the significance of the equation x+y+z=20 in relation to the flux of a vector field?

The equation x+y+z=20 represents the boundary of the square on the plane. This boundary helps to define the surface over which the flux of the vector field is being calculated, and is an integral part of the calculation process.