1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux of vector field proportional to 1/r^3 through sphere

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the vector field [tex] \vec F=\frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex] with [tex]\vec r=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k} [/tex]. Compute the flux of [tex] \vec F[/tex] out of a sphere of radius "a" centred
    at the origin.
    2. Relevant equations
    The Gauss Divergence Theorem [tex]\int_D dV \nabla \bullet F=\int_S F\bullet dA [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I'm either missing or not understanding something in this question. When I compute [tex] \nabla \bullet F[/tex], I get zero, which means the flux is zero, I think. But this doesn't seem right at all. What am I missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    The vector field [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] has a singularity at the origin, so you can't use the divergence theorem (at least not in its most common form). Compute the flux directly from the definition instead.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook