Flux of vector field proportional to 1/r^3 through sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jameson2
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider the vector field [tex]\vec F=\frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex] with [tex]\vec r=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}[/tex]. Compute the flux of [tex]\vec F[/tex] out of a sphere of radius "a" centred
at the origin.

Homework Equations


The Gauss Divergence Theorem [tex]\int_D dV \nabla \bullet F=\int_S F\bullet dA[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I think I'm either missing or not understanding something in this question. When I compute [tex]\nabla \bullet F[/tex], I get zero, which means the flux is zero, I think. But this doesn't seem right at all. What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector field [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] has a singularity at the origin, so you can't use the divergence theorem (at least not in its most common form). Compute the flux directly from the definition instead.