Flux Through A Sphere Surrounding A Parallelepiped

In summary, to find the flux through the surface of a sphere with radius 2a centered at the origin, in a rectangular parallelepiped with sides a>b>c filled with charge of constant density ρ, you need to find the charge contained within the sphere. This can be done by integrating ρ over the volume of the parallelepiped, which is oriented with its origin at one corner and edges along the positive directions of the rectangular axes. This will result in a charge of ρ(abc).
madianned

Homework Statement

The rectangular parallelepiped with sides ## a > b > c ## is filled with charge of constant density ## \rho ##. A sphere of radius ## 2a ## is constructed with its center at the origin. Find the flux through the surface of this sphere

Homework Equations

$$ \oint E \cdot da = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} $$

$$ q = \int \rho dv $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the flux I need to find q using the equation above, but for the volume I integrate over, would I need to use the sphere, or the parallelepiped? I'd suspect the parallelepiped, because that's what holds the charge, but then why would they have given me the radius of the sphere surrounding it? I'm probably overthinking it (just confusing myself), but I figured I'd ask regardless.

Physics news on Phys.org
madianned said:
I'd suspect the parallelepiped, because that's what holds the charge,
Since you are looking for the flux through the sphere, you need the charge contained within that.

Also how is the parallelepiped oriented? Where is it with respect to the sphere?

NFuller said:
...how is the parallelepiped oriented? Where is it with respect to the sphere?

The parallelepiped has the origin at one corner and edges along the positive directions of the rectangular axes, and the sphere is centered at the origin.

So if I want the charge inside I'd have to use the volume of the parallelepiped as such;
$$ Q_e = \int_v \rho dv = \rho (abc) $$
right?

Yes since the entire parallelepiped is inside the sphere.

Likes madianned
Okay, awesome! Thank you for your help!

1. What is flux through a sphere surrounding a parallelepiped?

Flux through a sphere surrounding a parallelepiped is a measure of the amount of a vector field passing through the surface of a sphere that surrounds the parallelepiped shape. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. How is flux through a sphere calculated?

The flux through a sphere can be calculated by using the formula: Φ = ∫∫S F · dS, where Φ is the flux, S is the surface of the sphere, F is the vector field, and dS is the differential area element on the surface. This integral is also known as the surface integral of the vector field over the surface of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the flux through a sphere surrounding a parallelepiped?

The flux through a sphere can be affected by several factors such as the magnitude and direction of the vector field, the surface area of the sphere, and the orientation of the sphere with respect to the vector field. In general, any changes in these factors will result in a change in the flux through the sphere.

4. How is the direction of the flux determined?

The direction of the flux through a sphere can be determined by the direction of the vector field at each point on the surface of the sphere. The flux will be positive if the vector field is pointing outward from the sphere, and negative if it is pointing inward.

5. What are the practical applications of flux through a sphere surrounding a parallelepiped?

Flux through a sphere is an important concept in various fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to calculate the flow of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the flow of fluids in pipes and channels. It is also used in weather forecasting to measure the movement of air and water currents in the atmosphere and oceans.