Flywheel and Gearbox Coupling Help

In summary, the problem involves a gearbox and flywheel where the output shaft rotates at 5 times the speed of the input shaft. The flywheel has a mass of 50 kg and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min–1 in 1 minute. The torque required to hold the gearbox stationary (holding torque Th) is calculated to be 33.58Nm, by using the input power formula with the input angular velocity Wi, which is calculated by dividing the output speed by 5 and converting to RAD/s.
Mingsliced

Homework Statement

[/B]
I've been working my way through the following question but I am a little bit stuck at this part:

A gearbox and flywheel are as shown in FIGURE 4. The output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed. The gearbox has an efficiency of 92%.

If the flywheel is solid, has a mass of 50 kg, a diameter of 1.5 m and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min–1 in 1 minute:

Calculate the magnitude and direction of the torque required to hold the gearbox stationary (holding torque Th).

Homework Equations

[/B]
Input shaft rotating clockwise.
Output shaft rotating anti-clockwise.

Input Angular Velocity W1 = 0 RAD/s
Final Angular Velocity W2 = (300*2π)/60
Final Angular Velocity W2 = 31.42 RAD/s

Angular Acceleration α = (W2 - W1)/t
Angular Acceleration α = (31.42 - 0)/60
Angular Acceleration α = 0.52 RAD/s

Moment of inertia for solid disc I = 1/2*MR2
Moment of inertia for solid disc I = 0.5*50*0.752
Moment of inertia for solid disc I = 14.06 KG/m2

Torque of output shaft T2 = I*α
Torque of output shaft T2 = 14.06*0.52
Torque of output shaft T2 = 7.3Nm
Regarding gearbox efficiency T2 = (7.3/100)*92
Therefore T2 = 6.716Nm

Torque of input shaft T1 = T2 * 5
Torque of input shaft T1 = 6.716 * 5
Torque of input shaft T1 = 33.58Nm

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling because a lot of the worked examples already have input or output power, which is what I need to calculate the holding torque TH. Could I calculate the output power using T2 * W2? Thus 6.716 * 31.42 = 211Kw and work backwards from there?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your arithmetic but you seem to be doing ok so far.

Take a look at your worked examples again. How do they get from input power to holding torque?

Likes Mingsliced
By using the angular velocity Wi: input power = Ti * Wi.

I'm guessing to get Wi that you divide the output speed by 5, so 300/5 = 60. Then convert to RAD/s to get 6.283 RAD/s.

Then placing that into input power formula: 33.58 * 6.283 = 210.98 Watts.

Is that correct?

Don't worry, I've figured it out. The above post is incorrect anyway. Thanks for the hint :)

1. What is a flywheel and gearbox coupling?

A flywheel and gearbox coupling is a mechanical device that connects the flywheel of an engine to the gearbox. This allows for the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels of a vehicle or other machinery.

2. How does a flywheel and gearbox coupling work?

The flywheel and gearbox coupling works by using a series of gears and bearings to transfer power from the flywheel to the gearbox. When the engine is running, the flywheel rotates and the coupling transfers this rotational energy to the gearbox, which then drives the wheels or other machinery.

3. What are the benefits of using a flywheel and gearbox coupling?

There are several benefits to using a flywheel and gearbox coupling. It helps to smooth out the power delivery from the engine, reducing vibrations and ensuring a more consistent and efficient transfer of power. It also allows for better control over the speed and torque of the engine, making it easier to operate and maintain.

4. How do I choose the right flywheel and gearbox coupling for my application?

Choosing the right flywheel and gearbox coupling depends on several factors such as the type of engine, the power requirements, and the intended use of the machinery. It's important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or supplier to ensure that the coupling is compatible and suitable for your specific needs.

5. How do I maintain a flywheel and gearbox coupling?

Maintenance for a flywheel and gearbox coupling typically involves regular inspections for wear and tear, lubrication of moving parts, and replacing any damaged or worn components. It's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and to address any issues promptly to avoid costly repairs or downtime.