Gearbox and Flywheel Homework: Calculating Torque & Power

• Thread starter sponsoraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary: P = I*[(ω2-ω1)/t]4. T=I*[(ω2-ω1)/t]5. Plot Power versus time in a graph.No. There's some mistakes here.
sponsoraw

Homework Statement

A flywheel is attached on the output of the gearbox. The output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed. The gearbox has an efficiency of 92%.

If the flywheel is solid, has a mass of 50kg, a diameter of 1.5m and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min-1 in 1min:

a) Calculate the torque required at input T1.

b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the torque required to hold the gearbox stationary (holing torque Th). Show the direction of the holding torque applied to the shaft with the aid of a sketch.

c) Plot a graph of the input power against time when taking the flywheel from rest to 300 revs min-1.

Homework Equations

α=(ω21)/t
T=I*α
I=0.5*m*r2
η=(-Too)/(Tii)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
ωi=-0.2ωo
ω2=300 revs min-1=300*(2π/60)=10π rads-1
ωo=-10π rads-1

α=(ω21)/t=(10π-0)/60=π/6 rads-2
I=0.5*m*r2=0.5*50*0.752=14.062 kgm2
To=I*α=14.062*(π/6)=7.3628 Nm

ωi=-0.2*-10π=2π rads-1

η=(-Too)/(Tii)
η(Tii)=-Too
Tii=(-Too)/η

Ti=(-Too)/(η*ωi)=(-7.3628*-10π)/(0.92*2π)=36.814/0.92=40.0152 Nm

b)
Ti+To+Th=0
Th=-Ti-To=-40.0152-7.3628=-47.378 Nm

As the holding torque Th has a negative sign the direction of it is clockwise which is opposite direction to the Ti and To.

20150802_123638.jpg

The a) and b) seem to be not too difficult (if I got it right), however after spending several hours I can't workout c). Can someone put me in the right direction. I hope a) and b) are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
sponsoraw said:

Homework Statement

A flywheel is attached on the output of the gearbox. The output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed. The gearbox has an efficiency of 92%.

If the flywheel is solid, has a mass of 50kg, a diameter of 1.5m and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min-1 in 1min:

c) Plot a graph of the input power against time when taking the flywheel from rest to 300 revs min-1.

The a) and b) seem to be not too difficult (if I got it right), however after spending several hours I can't workout c). Can someone put me in the right direction. I hope a) and b) are correct.

1. What's the definition of power if you know the torque on a shaft and its angular velocity?

2. If you know the relationship between torque, mass moment of inertia, and angular acceleration, can't you calculate the change in angular velocity of the shaft versus time?

3. If you can calculate the change in angular velocity, can't you also calculate the angular velocity of the shaft at a particular time t = t0 ?

4. Apply the results of 3.) above with the formula in 1.) and make a table of Power versus time.

5. Plot results in table of 4.) above.

Thanks SteamKing for your reply. I will give it a go. Any comment about a) and b)?

sponsoraw said:
Thanks SteamKing for your reply. I will give it a go. Any comment about a) and b)?
Not at this time.

SteamKing said:
1. What's the definition of power if you know the torque on a shaft and its angular velocity?

2. If you know the relationship between torque, mass moment of inertia, and angular acceleration, can't you calculate the change in angular velocity of the shaft versus time?

3. If you can calculate the change in angular velocity, can't you also calculate the angular velocity of the shaft at a particular time t = t0 ?

4. Apply the results of 3.) above with the formula in 1.) and make a table of Power versus time.

5. Plot results in table of 4.) above.

My attempt:
1. P=T*ω
2. T=I*α
so far easy
Change in angular velocity of the shaft versus time?
Is it α=(ω21)/t
4. T=I*[(ω21)/t]
as ω1=0
T=I*(ω2/t)
therefore P=(I*ω2i)/t
as I=14.062 kgm-2
ω2=10π rads-1
ωi=2π rads-1

P=(14.062*10π*2π)/t=2775.7275/t

Just need to now plot a graph of P for t between 0 and 60s.

Does it make any sense?

Any luck with a) and b) - sorry to be a pest.

sponsoraw said:
My attempt:
1. P=T*ω
2. T=I*α
so far easy
Change in angular velocity of the shaft versus time?
Is it α=(ω21)/t
4. T=I*[(ω21)/t]
as ω1=0
T=I*(ω2/t)
therefore P=(I*ω2i)/t
as I=14.062 kgm-2
ω2=10π rads-1
ωi=2π rads-1

P=(14.062*10π*2π)/t=2775.7275/t

Just need to now plot a graph of P for t between 0 and 60s.

Does it make any sense?

No. There's some mistakes here.

1. P = T ω, not P = T ω1ω2 . I think you mistyped your equation here, multiplying the omegas instead of subtracting them.

2. Once you calculate the angular acceleration α of the flywheel, you want to calculate the ω of the shaft for a few intervals between t = 0 and t = 1 min. and the power applied to the shaft. ω = ω0 + α*t . Set up a table of the values of time, the speed of the shaft, and the power. Plot Power versus time.

SteamKing,

I think I'm to stupid for this, let's take it a step at a time.

You are correct, P=T*ω.
as T=I*α
and α=(ω21)/t
then T=[I*(ω21)]/t

as ω1=0

so T=(I*ω2)/t

substituting into power equation

P=(I*ω2i)/t

OK, I see your derivation now.

Can you complete answering the question?

As I=14.062 kgm2
ω2=300 revmin-1=10π rads-1
ωi=2π rads-1

then, P=(14.062*10π*2π)/t=2775.7275/t

Hi SteamKing, I had another think about it and my above solution is incorrect as I used the moment of inertia from the flywheel where I have to calculate the power input. I believe it should be:
P=T*ω

as α=(ω2-ω1)/t
ω1=0, so
α=ω2/t
ω2=α*t

Substituting this into power equation

P=T(α*t)
as T=40.0152 Nm and α=π/6 rads-2

P=40.0152*(π/6)*t=20.9519*t

The graph looks like this:

Book1.jpg

That is only if I got the question a) right.

Hi sponsoraw,
I know this was a while ago but I am struggling with the same question. How did you get on? Do you have any helpful feedback?
Thanks

@JohnnyS,

@sponsoraw was last logged in in March 2016. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that you will get a response. I suggest that you start a new thread of your own if you wish to receive help with your work.

Since this is an old thread and the OP long absent, I am closing the thread.

Likes JohnnyS

Related to Gearbox and Flywheel Homework: Calculating Torque & Power

1. What is a gearbox and flywheel?

A gearbox is a mechanical device used to transmit power from one component of a machine to another. It consists of multiple gears of different sizes that work together to change the speed and torque of rotational motion. A flywheel is a rotating mechanical device that is designed to store and release energy, acting as a buffer between the power source and the load.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The units for torque are typically represented as Newton-meters (N·m) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft·lb) in the imperial system.

3. What is the relationship between torque and power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. The relationship between torque and power is that torque is the force that produces rotational motion, while power is the measure of how quickly that motion occurs. The greater the torque, the greater the power output of an engine or motor.

4. How do you calculate power?

Power can be calculated by multiplying the torque by the rotational speed of the object. The units for power are typically represented as watts (W) in the metric system and horsepower (hp) in the imperial system.

5. What factors affect torque and power in a gearbox and flywheel?

The factors that affect torque and power in a gearbox and flywheel include the size and number of gears in the gearbox, the size and weight of the flywheel, the material used to make the gears and flywheel, and the rotational speed of the gears and flywheel. Additionally, the efficiency of the gearbox and flywheel and the amount of friction can also impact torque and power output.