Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Flywheel of a steam engine problem

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 156rev/min. When the steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings and of the air brings the wheel to rest in 2.20h. What is the tangential linear acceleration of a particle 52.4cm from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 72.5rev/min.

2. Relevant equations

At= r(alpha)

I know what the radius is, so I must find angular acceleration.

alpha = (Wf-Wi)/t
    _____=(0-156)/(2.2*60)
    _____=-1.18rev/min^2

Therefore

At= (52.4cm)(-1.18rev/min^2)

3. The attempt at confusion

So now that I am done, I am left wondering why someone would put 72.5 rev/min in the equation. I was tempted to put that into my equation to find alpha, but then I am lacking time. I then turned towards my linear equivalent equations, but I am lacking time it takes to decelerate to 72.5 or the amount of rotations it takes to get that far. What am i meant to do?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Its not unheard for a problem to contain extraneous information. You've correctly figured that the tangential acceleration is constant and you don't need the speed. If there is a followup question asking you to compute the radial acceleration? Then you will need the speed.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #3
    Yeah the next one was calculate the total force, so I realized that the speed was simply used in omega^2(r), so that cleared it up. Thanks though, it had me for a bit

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook