Flywheel of a steam engine problem

In summary, a flywheel running at a constant angular speed of 156 rev/min will come to rest in 2.20 hours due to friction. To find the tangential linear acceleration of a particle 52.4cm from the axis of rotation, the angular acceleration must be found using the formula alpha = (Wf-Wi)/t. The speed of 72.5 rev/min is not needed for this calculation. However, if the problem asks for the radial acceleration, the speed will be necessary.
Paged

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 156rev/min. When the steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings and of the air brings the wheel to rest in 2.20h. What is the tangential linear acceleration of a particle 52.4cm from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 72.5rev/min.

Homework Equations

At= r(alpha)

I know what the radius is, so I must find angular acceleration.

alpha = (Wf-Wi)/t
_____=(0-156)/(2.2*60)
_____=-1.18rev/min^2

Therefore

At= (52.4cm)(-1.18rev/min^2)

3. The attempt at confusion

So now that I am done, I am left wondering why someone would put 72.5 rev/min in the equation. I was tempted to put that into my equation to find alpha, but then I am lacking time. I then turned towards my linear equivalent equations, but I am lacking time it takes to decelerate to 72.5 or the amount of rotations it takes to get that far. What am i meant to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its not unheard for a problem to contain extraneous information. You've correctly figured that the tangential acceleration is constant and you don't need the speed. If there is a followup question asking you to compute the radial acceleration? Then you will need the speed.

Yeah the next one was calculate the total force, so I realized that the speed was simply used in omega^2(r), so that cleared it up. Thanks though, it had me for a bit

What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to maintain a constant speed in a machine by resisting changes in rotational speed.

What is the purpose of a flywheel in a steam engine?

In a steam engine, the flywheel is used to store and regulate the energy produced by the steam engine. It helps to maintain a constant rotational speed and smooth out any fluctuations in power.

How does the flywheel of a steam engine work?

The flywheel works by storing energy as it rotates and releasing that energy to help keep the engine running at a constant speed. As the steam engine produces power, the flywheel absorbs and stores this energy. When the engine's power output decreases, the flywheel releases its stored energy to keep the engine running smoothly.

What factors affect the performance of a flywheel in a steam engine?

The size and weight of the flywheel, the speed of the engine, and the type of material used to make the flywheel can all affect its performance. A heavier flywheel will store more energy, while a lighter flywheel will allow for quicker changes in speed. Additionally, a larger flywheel will have a greater inertia, making it more resistant to changes in speed.

How do engineers calculate the size and weight of a flywheel for a steam engine?

Engineers use mathematical formulas to calculate the necessary size and weight of a flywheel for a specific steam engine. These formulas take into account the engine's power output, speed, and the desired smoothness of operation. They may also consider other factors, such as the type of load the engine will be powering and the expected fluctuations in power demand.