What is the tangential acceleration of a flywheel particle during deceleration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaoulDuke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flywheel Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
RaoulDuke
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 375 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings stops the wheel in 1.8 h.

At the instant the flywheel is turning at 75 rev/min, what is the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a flywheel particle that is 50 cm from the axis of rotation?

Angular Acceleration: -3.47 rev/(min^2)


Homework Equations



Tangential component of the linear acceleration = (angular acceleration)(radius to object)

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried dividing the angular acceleration figure by 60 to make it in rev/(sec^2), then multiplied by r (.5 m), and ended up with the wrong answer. I tried multiplying that angular acceleration figure by 2pi to convert it to radians then multiplied it out, but still no dice. I have one attempt left. Do I need to clarify anything?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The units are rev/min2. 1 revolution is 2π rad and 1min2 is 3600s2, so you need to multiply rev/min2 by 2π/3600 to get it into rad/s2