What is the tangential acceleration of a flywheel particle during deceleration?

In summary, the flywheel of a steam engine with a constant angular speed of 375 rev/min is stopped by friction in 1.8 h. When the flywheel is turning at 75 rev/min, the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a particle 50 cm from the axis of rotation is calculated by multiplying the angular acceleration of -3.47 rev/(min^2) by the radius of 50 cm, resulting in an incorrect answer. To convert the units, the angular acceleration must be multiplied by 2π/3600 to get it into rad/s^2.
RaoulDuke

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 375 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings stops the wheel in 1.8 h.

At the instant the flywheel is turning at 75 rev/min, what is the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a flywheel particle that is 50 cm from the axis of rotation?

Angular Acceleration: -3.47 rev/(min^2)

Homework Equations

Tangential component of the linear acceleration = (angular acceleration)(radius to object)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing the angular acceleration figure by 60 to make it in rev/(sec^2), then multiplied by r (.5 m), and ended up with the wrong answer. I tried multiplying that angular acceleration figure by 2pi to convert it to radians then multiplied it out, but still no dice. I have one attempt left. Do I need to clarify anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
The units are rev/min2. 1 revolution is 2π rad and 1min2 is 3600s2, so you need to multiply rev/min2 by 2π/3600 to get it into rad/s2

ah, so I was close. thanks.

1. What is a flywheel torque problem?

A flywheel torque problem refers to an issue with the torque, or rotational force, generated by a flywheel. This can occur if there is a malfunction or imbalance in the flywheel, causing it to rotate unevenly or with insufficient force.

2. How does a flywheel torque problem affect machinery?

A flywheel torque problem can cause machinery to operate inefficiently or even fail completely. The uneven or insufficient torque can lead to vibrations, excessive wear and tear, and decreased performance of the machinery.

3. What are the common causes of flywheel torque problems?

Some common causes of flywheel torque problems include an unbalanced or misaligned flywheel, worn or damaged bearings, and improper installation or maintenance of the flywheel.

4. How can flywheel torque problems be diagnosed?

Flywheel torque problems can be diagnosed through visual inspection, measurement of torque output, and monitoring of machinery performance. A professional mechanic or engineer may also use specialized equipment to diagnose the issue.

5. What are the solutions for fixing a flywheel torque problem?

The solution for fixing a flywheel torque problem depends on the specific cause. It may involve realigning or balancing the flywheel, replacing worn or damaged parts, or performing maintenance on the machinery. In some cases, the flywheel may need to be replaced entirely.