Focusing light with a light sail

• Thread starter beek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light energy and how it can be used to propel spacecraft through solar sails. The suggestion is made to focus the light from the solar sail onto a single spot to increase its intensity and therefore generate more energy for forward movement. However, the moderator explains that this would not be possible as it goes against the principle of conservation of energy. Additionally, any manipulation of the light in the focal region would result in backward momentum, which is counterproductive to reaching farther and faster into space.
beek
<Moderator's note: post split off from another thread>

OK I'm new here i have read all the questions and comments. the whole reason i did is because of light energy.
"More photons packed in a smaller area = higher light intensity in that area".
and solar sails work?
so why can't scientists make a solar sail (giving them forward movement) reflect that light to a single spot giving them more "intensity" to produce more energy for more forward movement.
wouldn't that give them the energy they need to reach into space farther and faster?

Science news on Phys.org
beek said:
<Moderator's note: post split off from another thread>

OK I'm new here i have read all the questions and comments. the whole reason i did is because of light energy.
"More photons packed in a smaller area = higher light intensity in that area".
and solar sails work?
so why can't scientists make a solar sail (giving them forward movement) reflect that light to a single spot giving them more "intensity" to produce more energy for more forward movement.
wouldn't that give them the energy they need to reach into space farther and faster?
Higher intensity in smaller area. Same total force. Same total power. You can't get something for nothing.

Edit: Plus, if you've reflected the light backward, harvesting forward momentum for your craft, anything you do to that light at the focal region will harvest backward momentum. That's the opposite of what you need.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does a light sail work?

A light sail works by using the momentum of photons from a light source to propel a spacecraft forward. The sail is made of a reflective material that reflects the photons, causing a transfer of momentum and propelling the sail in the opposite direction.

2. What type of light source is needed for a light sail?

A light sail can be powered by any type of light source, including sunlight, lasers, or even artificial light sources. The important factor is the intensity of the light source, as a higher intensity will provide more momentum and therefore more propulsion for the sail.

3. How is the direction of a light sail controlled?

The direction of a light sail can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the sail in relation to the light source. By changing the angle, the sail can be steered in different directions to navigate through space.

4. What materials are used to make a light sail?

The most commonly used material for a light sail is a thin, reflective material such as Mylar or aluminum-coated plastic. These materials are lightweight and have a high reflectivity, making them ideal for capturing and reflecting photons from a light source.

5. What are the potential applications of light sails?

Light sails have the potential to revolutionize space travel by providing a more efficient and sustainable means of propulsion. They could be used for deep space exploration, satellite propulsion, and even interstellar travel. Light sails could also be used for solar sails to collect energy from the sun for use on Earth.