Foie Gras ban lifted

• News
  • Thread starter Barfolumu
  • Start date
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pretty much all forms of meat are horrifying though. I admit, its not that nice. But there also not pets.
Agreed. It's a slippery slope argument. But with some species, like lobsters, the nervous sytems are so primitive, it's hard to say if they feel anything like what we categorize as "pain". With ducks and geese it gets a bit iffier.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sure, I agree with you there. All Im saying is that fattening them up is a necessary evil; therefore, its not explicit torture.
Just because an animal has been breed for food doesn't make it immune to suffering. (And I'm a meat-eater!)

Just because an animal has been breed for food doesn't make it immune to suffering. (And I'm a meat-eater!)
I know, and im saying it should be as minimal as is reasonable. How long do these ducks live before they kill them?

I still dont see this as 'torture' to the point where it should be banned.

The entire point is to get a higher yield of meat from them. Thats a good thing.

Any thoughts on this?
It find it pretty sad that some people want to resort to banning this, I would have hoped that people are compassionate enough to resist eating this as its production is a form of cruelty to animals.

I am a vegetarian by the way. :)

Last edited:
quadraphonics
I know, and im saying it should be as minimal as is reasonable. How long do these ducks live before they kill them?
The fattening process lasts about 2 weeks. It's unclear whether the force-feeding actually causes significant discomfort to the animals (at least if done properly): geese naturally overeat to the point of fattening their livers every winter ahead of migration. This is presumably where people got the idea of feeding them a ton to fatten their livers in the first place, and there are niche "humane" foie gras producers that rely on this natural method.

Throwin' my two pennies in...

I'm all for the ban being lifted. Even if you disagree with Foie Gras, the ban doesn't attack the problem.

I do wonder if this is a necessary evil, though. You get a larger liver, but Foie Gras isn't exactly what you'd call a staple. Since it is a luxury item, couldn't we rely upon them fattening themselves up? Some of those pictures are pretty nasty (though, they're also probably cherry picked).

chemisttree: Is that just speculation, or... what? Seemed like an interesting tid-bit, just wondering if you had more to go off of.