Folium of Descartes - very interesting

• Thread starter danni7070
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: And if t = -1 we have(x^3)+(y^3) = -3xy and this is true for x = 0 and y = 0. For any other number we get a different solution.In summary, the function y = f(x) satisfies the equation x^3+y^3 = 3xy and is differentiable. Using implicit differentiation, the derivative y' can be found to be (1-x)/(y-1). For the second problem, substituting y with tx in the equation for the folium of Descartes results in the equation (x
danni7070
This is my problem:

1) Suppose that the function y = f(x) satisfies the equation x^3+y^3 = 3xy and is differentiable.
Find a formula for the derivative y' showing it dependent on x and y.

Well, I really don't know what to do but here goes...

Is it y' = f'(x) = x^3+y^3 = 3xy

Then i have to isolate y (for example y^3) and then derive?

That gives me y = 3sqrt(3xy-x3) and I should derive that formula right ?

If I'm right about this I'm still stuck in problem two which is:

2= Show that for t is not −1 and t is not 0 the line y = tx intersects the folium of Descartes in exactly one point different from (0, 0), and find that point.

I'm clueless now.

Anyone ?

Physics news on Phys.org
well as i understood it you only need to take the derivataive wrt to x of the equation:
x^3+y^3=3xy and then isolate the y' from the other terms.

what does wrt to x mean? (English is not my first language)

danni7070 said:
This is my problem:

1) Suppose that the function y = f(x) satisfies the equation x^3+y^3 = 3xy and is differentiable.
Find a formula for the derivative y' showing it dependent on x and y.

Well, I really don't know what to do but here goes...

Is it y' = f'(x) = x^3+y^3 = 3xy
This makes no sensef'(x) is NOT equal to x^3+ y^3!

Then i have to isolate y (for example y^3) and then derive?
You could but you don't have to. Use "implicit differentiation" instead.

That gives me y = 3sqrt(3xy-x3) and I should derive that formula right ?
If x^3+ y^3= 3xy, you have d(x^3+ y^3)/dx= d(3xy)/dx. Since you do not know y as a function of x, use the chain rule: d(y^3)/dx= 3y^2 dy/dx.

If I'm right about this I'm still stuck in problem two which is:

2= Show that for t is not −1 and t is not 0 the line y = tx intersects the folium of Descartes in exactly one point different from (0, 0), and find that point.

I'm clueless now.

Anyone ?
You have two simultaneous equations: x^3+ y^3= 3xy and y= tx. Putting the second equation into the first, x^3+ t^4x^3= 3t x^2. Obviously x= 0 satisfies that. What other solutions (x as a function of t) does that have?

danni7070 said:
what does wrt to x mean? (English is not my first language)
with respect to

OK! Thanks for the advice!
I used "implicit differ" and found out that y' = -x^2/y^2 (The first time I use this method)

But in the second problem I know that x=0 satisfies the equation. But there is on other number that also satisfies that equation, but I don't know how to solve the other point for x.

danni7070 said:
OK! Thanks for the advice!
I used "implicit differ" and found out that y' = -x^2/y^2 (The first time I use this method)

There is a problem here: that is not the correct result for y' (or dy/dx).

The result y = 3sqrt(3xy-x3) is also not a correct derivation from the original expression for the folium, x^3+y^3 = 3xy . (This would have to involve *cube* roots and is a mess to rewrite as y = f(x). That is why we suggest implicit differentiation.)

HallsofIvy suggested that you start with your original expression

x^3+y^3 = 3xy

and then take the derivative of each side with respect to x:

d/dx [(x^3+ y^3)] = d/dx (3xy) .

You will need to use the Chain Rule; since we don't really know how to write y as a function of x, we just differentiate it, knowing that it has a relation to x. HofI gave you one equation for dealing with the (y^3) term:

d/dx (y^3) = (3y^2) dy/dx = 3(y^2)·y' .

You will also need to use the Product Rule and Chain Rule to find d/dx (3xy). You will then have an equation with a (dy/dx) or y' factor on each side. You will need to rearrange the equation so that you can solve for y'. What do you find?

By the way, it is a good idea to show your work, so the readers here can see how you are getting your results.

But in the second problem I know that x=0 satisfies the equation. But there is on other number that also satisfies that equation, but I don't know how to solve the other point for x.

HofI also suggested substituting y with tx (the equation given in the problem) in your equation for the folium, giving

x^3 + (tx)^3 = 3·x·(tx) or

(x^3) + (t^3)(x^3) = 3t·(x^2)
[typo in earlier post corrected]

Since we already found x = 0 as a solution, we now want to look at the solution for x when x is *not* zero. How does your result explain why the problem said we cannot have t = 0 or t = -1 ?

Ok, before I type this I must say big thanks for taking your time helping me! It is very helpful.

I've got from part 1:

d/dx(x^3+y^3) = d/dx(3xy) (I will say from now d/dx = y')

Used the product rule on the right side and got (3x)'(y)+(3x)(y)' = 3y + 3xy'

From the left side I got 3x^2+3y^2y'

That does 3x^2+3y^2y' = 3y + 3xy'

I'm not good at this but here goes...

I take the 3xy' from right to left and combine that with 3y^2y':

(3y^2+3x)y' = 3y-3x^2

and then isolate y':

y' = (3y-3x^2)/(3y^2+3x)

take the 3's and the ^ thingies (don't know the english word for ^)

y' = (1-x)/(y-1)

Is this right ?

And from the part 2

Since we already found x = 0 as a solution, we now want to look at the solution for x when x is *not* zero. How does your result explain why the problem said we cannot have t = 0 or t = -1 ?

Well if t = 0 we have x^3 = 0 and since x has to be something else but zero this doesn't add up.

If t = -1 we have x^3 - x^3 = -3(x^2)

Obviously doesn't fit for x *not* zero.

So t can be every number but -1 and 0 but what about x?

Last edited:
danni7070 said:

That does 3x^2+3y^2y' = 3y + 3xy'

You're OK to here.

(3y^2+3x)y' = 3y-3x^2

Watch your signs: that should be (3y^2 - 3x)y' , so you'll have

y' = (3y - 3x^2)/(3y^2 - 3x)

take the 3's and the ^ thingies (don't know the english word for ^)

The " ^ " is called a caret or a circumflex. In mathematical use, we'd read that as "to the power of"; because of that, some people call this the "uppen" symbol... ^_^

You can cancel out the 3's, but the powers of x and y can't just be removed. Your result will be

y' = [ y - (x^2) ]/[ (y^2) - x ] ;

that's as simple as it's going to get. But it also answers the question as to why dy/dx depends on both x and y.

And from the part 2

Well if t = 0 we have x^3 = 0 and since x has to be something else but zero this doesn't add up.

If t = -1 we have x^3 - x^3 = -3(x^2)

Obviously doesn't fit for x *not* zero.

So t can be every number but -1 and 0 but what about x?

You still need to solve this:

(x^3) + (t^3)(x^3) = 3t·(x^2)

for x (as a function of t). If x is not zero, what does this reduce to?

1. What is the Folium of Descartes?

The Folium of Descartes is a mathematical curve discovered by French philosopher and mathematician René Descartes in the 17th century. It is also known as the "three-leaf clover curve" due to its unique shape.

2. How is the Folium of Descartes defined?

The Folium of Descartes can be defined algebraically as the curve described by the equation x^3 + y^3 = 3axy, where a is a constant. Geometrically, it can be described as the locus of points where the product of the distances from two fixed points is equal to the square of the distance between those points.

3. What are the properties of the Folium of Descartes?

Some of the properties of the Folium of Descartes include: it is a closed curve, it is symmetric about the origin, it intersects the x and y axes at three points, and it has a cusp at the origin. It also has a double point at the point (a, a) and a triple point at the origin.

4. What is the significance of the Folium of Descartes?

The Folium of Descartes has been studied by mathematicians for centuries due to its unique properties and beautiful shape. It has also been used to model various phenomena in physics, such as the path of a planet orbiting a star. It has also been used in architecture and art as a decorative element.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Folium of Descartes?

The Folium of Descartes has been used in real-life applications such as designing gears and camshafts in machinery, designing sails for boats, and creating aesthetically pleasing designs in architecture and art. It has also been used in mathematical and scientific research to understand and model various natural phenomena.