What folktales for kids do you know from around the world?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 6K views
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ah, and these aren't exactly folktales, but the short stories from Saki are incredibly entertaining. They're full of irony, if that's the sort of thing you like. Here's a link for a bunch of them : here
My favorite is The Open Window (find it on page 2). For young children? Probably not, since the humor and subject matter is not usually directed for the smaller population, but still . . .
Thanks.
James Holland said:
have u found the one a bout the dutch boy and the cheese
MORE CHEESE GROMMIT
Found it! And at the beginning of the story I saw:
http://www.uexpress.com/tell-me-a-story/2009/4/26/the-boy-who-loved-cheese-a said:
The boy weighed only 60 pounds, but he ate like a man three times his size.

"Is your stomach an empty well?" his father asked, laughing at him.
Why does that sounds familiar? :DD But three times is too much for me. Perhaps a person two times my size... Heck, now that I think about it not even that. Two times is still a lot. I eat a lot alright, but not that exaggerated. :-p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
But since this is a story about stories, does that mean that the stories mentioned in this story does not exist or do they exist?

They do exist. The link I mentioned is like a prologue. It is about the origin of those stories. You can find the books on the net anywhere. Just type Panchatantra stories.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
CrazyNinja said:
They do exist. The link I mentioned is like a prologue. It is about the origin of those stories. You can find the books on the net anywhere. Just type Panchatantra stories.
Nice, I'm going to look for it when I finish some things I must do first and separate time for it :smile:. When it's about books I prefer to separate time for them since I don't feel good leaving them half read.
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ah, and these aren't exactly folktales, but the short stories from Saki are incredibly entertaining. They're full of irony, if that's the sort of thing you like. Here's a link for a bunch of them : here
My favorite is The Open Window (find it on page 2). For young children? Probably not, since the humor and subject matter is not usually directed for the smaller population, but still . . .

Oh Saki is epic..! Even O Henry is good. Which actually makes me wonder why @Psinter is looking for folktales for kids anyway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
CrazyNinja said:
Oh Saki is epic..! Even O Henry is good. Which actually makes me wonder why @Psinter is looking for folktales for kids anyway.
Yes! O. Henry is incredibly ironic, too. From him, my favorite is The Retrieved Reformation :biggrin:
 
James Holland said:
allso what about the one with the troll under the bridge and the billy goat guffs?
The billy goats are "gruff" not "guff"!
 
HallsofIvy said:
The billy goats are "gruff" not "guff"!
well I'm sorry
that horrendous one letter difference. I should just hand my self into the police know
 
CrazyNinja said:
Oh Saki is epic..! Even O Henry is good. Which actually makes me wonder why @Psinter is looking for folktales for kids anyway.
Because I like them :smile:. They have a lot of teachings taught in a simple manner and unlike novels, they are short and you don't have to go through hundred of pages to capture the essence. And they are fun to read. :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
It's only 32 years old, but Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon is a good one.