Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Food Hot Plate vs Science Hot Plate

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    "Food" Hot Plate vs "Science" Hot Plate

I want to pick up a cheap hot plate for doing high school level demonstrations in chemistry. Is there any reason getting a normal hot plate would be a bad idea? Like this one?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: "Food" Hot Plate vs "Science" Hot Plate

From a customer review for the cheap hot plate on Amazon.

That never happens with the $200 "science" hot plates I have used.

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3

Will that matter much for high school level demos and experiments? Stuff like turning a penny into bronze by heating zinc sulfate, etc. Thanks.

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Only you know the answer to that. Read some other reviews that describe it working for 2 weeks and then... KAPUT.

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5

Well, I mean, how often do you really need a consistent heat source? What sort of things is it critical you don't have heat fluctuations? I'm coming from a lack of upper level chemistry experience/lab classes.

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

One concern might be working with flammable solvents. Scientific hot plates will have been designed to not have any components that could potentially produce a spark to ignite flammable vapors. Food hot plates may not have been designed this way. See http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=4911&page=116#p200063c99970116002

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly. Imagine you want to boil something flammable with this hotplate. You keep increasing the setting but it isn't boiling. You wait. And wait. Nothing is happening. You increase the setting a little further and WHAM. The hotplate goes into overdrive, overheating the solvent which boils with such force that the glass joints are blown apart and the apparatus falls to the floor. The boiling solvent fills the air with a cloud of flammable vapor, searching for a source of ignition.

Safety and control are priceless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook