Food Hot Plate vs Science Hot Plate

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
"Food" Hot Plate vs "Science" Hot Plate

I want to pick up a cheap hot plate for doing high school level demonstrations in chemistry. Is there any reason getting a normal hot plate would be a bad idea? Like this one?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

From a customer review for the cheap hot plate on Amazon.

...the included thermostat only very roughly controls the temperature and allows it to fluctuate wildly.

That never happens with the $200 "science" hot plates I have used.

Will that matter much for high school level demos and experiments? Stuff like turning a penny into bronze by heating zinc sulfate, etc. Thanks.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Only you know the answer to that. Read some other reviews that describe it working for 2 weeks and then... KAPUT.

Well, I mean, how often do you really need a consistent heat source? What sort of things is it critical you don't have heat fluctuations? I'm coming from a lack of upper level chemistry experience/lab classes.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Exactly. Imagine you want to boil something flammable with this hotplate. You keep increasing the setting but it isn't boiling. You wait. And wait. Nothing is happening. You increase the setting a little further and WHAM. The hotplate goes into overdrive, overheating the solvent which boils with such force that the glass joints are blown apart and the apparatus falls to the floor. The boiling solvent fills the air with a cloud of flammable vapor, searching for a source of ignition.

Safety and control are priceless.