1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For given Hamiltonian, is spin conserved?

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    • Poster has been reminded to use the HH Template and show their work
    A system consisting of two spins is described by the Hamiltonian (b>0)
    H = aσ1 ⋅ σ2 + b1z - σ2z)
    where a and b are constants.
    (a) Is the total spin S = ½ (σ1 + σ2) conserved? Which components of S, if any, are conserved?
    (b) Find the eigenvalues of H and the corresponding eigenstates in terms of the eigenstates of the total spin S.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome in PF!
    Next time, please follow the given template if you post under the homework section.

As for your current problem, can you please show us your own initial attempt?

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your attention sir. I'm first time PH, so I made a mistake sorry.
    I can't understand how do I know the spins of the system if there is given a Hamiltoninan.
    In (a), I think that there's no term for time, so the Hamiltoninan does not change along the time. But I don't know the how to solve this problem.
    In (b), should I use some spinors? How do I express the eigenstates? matrix, vector, or ket notation? would you give me a example, please?

5. May 3, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For (a), you are actually asked to calculate ##[H,S_x]##, ##[H,S_y]##, and ##[H,S_z]##. Then find which of them vanish, which ones do not. Here ##S_i## for ##i=x,y,z## are the component of the total spin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted