For someone wanting to work in astronomy

In summary, if you have an interest in astronomy and are willing to put in the effort, a Astrophysics degree is a good way to go. However, you may not get as much flexibility in your career path as you would with a degree in Physics.
dros
For someone wanting to work in astronomy...

...is an Astrophysics degree the way to go or should I go with Physics? I'm a first-year undergrad who sort of spent the past semester and a half thinking I'd be a History major. I have a strong interest in astronomy and would love to work in the field. After realizing that History wasn't "for me" (and lacking in career paths) I considered taking up a physics/astrophysics degree. Just as a note, I am aware that these programs are math-intensive, but I am willing to put in the effort. I have no aversion to math and performed well in my high school algebra and precalculus classes.

From what I have heard, Astrophysics is not as flexible as Physics as far as getting non-scientific jobs goes (for instance, in case something goes wrong and I have to look for a job outside of physics).
This of course ignores that the "Professional Physics" and "Astrophysics" programs at my university are almost identical in course load.

I'm aware that in order to get into a serious position as a researcher I would need a MS and PhD, but I'd still like to know where to start.

Thank you, and I'm sorry if you get a ton of these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well I'm not in college yet, but I would say start taking the base level math and physics required. Get your feet wet in a few areas, decide what feels right. And if latter on you decide to change you will have the option being as the court requirements are very similar.

course not court

Yeah, that's a good point since the courses don't even change until the 3rd year or so, and even then it's not that significant of a change.

What about majoring in Physics and minoring in Astronomy?

I have mixed feelings about this. I think a basic degree in physics will give you a lot of good theory background for astrophysics research, like radiative transfer, hydrodynamics, and possibly gravitational physics/cosmology if you manage to take some GR and/or DG as an undergrad.

However in my experience, in a physics degree its rare to get to do astronomy (observational work, photometry, spectroscopy, data reduction, the statistics astronomers use) and to get experience with that you'll probably have to be very very proactive in searching out summer/voluntary research opportunities to try it out.

Having said this, most people I know in an "astrophysics" Bsc in the UK get tons of experience doing this, as they have entire courses dedicated to it, but from what I've seen don't get nearly enough math methods, statistical mechanics, fluid dynamics, GR, and analytical dynamics as I did, which I feel are really hard subjects to learn on one's own in a time efficient manner and are vital for astrophysics research that isn't exclusively observational.

It's also possible that throughout a physics degree you may be turned on to other areas of science you never thought you'd like, I've seen it happen a lot and I think it's a good thing to get a broader exposure as I did in a straight physics Bsc.

Last edited:

1. What education do I need to work in astronomy?

In order to work in astronomy, you will need to have at least a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Many positions in this field require a higher degree, such as a master's or a PhD.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in astronomy?

Some key skills for a career in astronomy include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available in astronomy?

There are various job opportunities in astronomy, including research positions at universities, government agencies, and observatories, as well as teaching positions and opportunities in the private sector.

4. What is the work environment like for astronomers?

Astronomers typically work in a combination of indoor and outdoor settings. They may spend time in a laboratory or office conducting research and analyzing data, as well as observing the night sky at a telescope or traveling to remote locations for observing opportunities.

5. Is there a demand for astronomers in the job market?

The demand for astronomers is expected to grow at a steady rate due to advancements in technology and the increasing interest in space exploration and research. However, competition for jobs in this field can be fierce, so gaining experience and networking can be beneficial.