1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what values of a are teh vectors parallel

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    For what values of "a" are teh vectors parallel

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    v = 5a i -3 j
    w = a^2 i -6 j

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was too get the unit vectors of both and set them equal to each other and solve for a, but that got messy.

(5a i- 3j)/sqrt(25a^2 +9) = (a^2i -6j)/sqrt(a^4 +36)

I tried solving for a separately and got a=5, but its obvious that is wrong because i end up with
    25 i -3 j =25 i -6 j

I'm not supposed to use the dot product for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For two vectors parallel, one is a scalar multiple of the other. wu.

Write it out in components.

ehild

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3
    If you can't use the dot product, how about the cross product instead?

5. Sep 14, 2013 #4
    Oh right. That seems to work out. So a=-10. The two also seem to be parallel if a=0 since you would end up with
    -3j=6j
    but that isn't something that results from doing what you told me. Is that a trivial case i should just notice or is there an algebraic way of solving that? Thanks for your help thus far.

I can't use the cross product either.

6. Sep 14, 2013 #5
    Using the proportional method suggested by ehild, you do get both answers analytically:

If you do the math right, after solving for λ and substituting, you should end up with an equation that looks like $$ a^2 = 10 a$$

This has solutions ## a={10, 0}##. Perhaps you divided out the ##a## earlier on before you noticed the zero solution, which prevents that division?

7. Sep 14, 2013 #6
    Oh I see. Yeah I did do that division a bit earlier. That makes much more sense. Thanks very much for your help guys.

8. Sep 14, 2013 #7
    Sure thing!

9. Sep 14, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that is wrong. Check.

Both solution result from the method I suggested.

ehild

10. Sep 14, 2013 #9
    The vectors are conviniently in a 2D world so you can work with slopes - assume any of the i or j unit vectors as x or y or what notation you might prefer. Tan(slope angle) is the vector's ordinate/abscissa so you get 5a/-3 = a^2/-6 or reverse the denoms and numerators since it's called the main property of an equality or something where a/b = c/d is the same as b/a = d/c. The slopes are equal because the vectors are parallel and you arrive at the same solution a = {0, 10}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted