Force Analysis of a compressed spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces involved when compressing a horizontally placed spring against a wall. The two forces - one from the compressed spring and the other from the person exerting the force - may not be equal but they still form an action-reaction pair. The work done in compressing the spring can be calculated using the formula for elastic force, and if the force is not constant, integration over distance is needed.
Aldnoahz
Hi all, I am quite confused by the forces relating to a horizontlly placed spring when someone directly exerts a force to the compress it. If I exert a force F to the right to compress the spring, which, say, is placed against a wall, the spring exerts an elastic force on me but I don't see how these two forces are related because they are exerted on different bodies. How can they be balanced out if they act on different bodies?

Let me thank you in advance. I have been bothered by this problem for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't have to be balanced. As you say, they act on different bodies so their effects may be different. The spring gets compressed and you may get some acceleration from this force unless there is friction to balance the effect of the spring on you.

nasu said:
They don't have to be balanced. As you say, they act on different bodies so their effects may be different. The spring gets compressed and you may get some acceleration from this force unless there is friction to balance the effect of the spring on you.

Thank you for replying. I just want some clarification. If I analyze the horizontal forces on me (assume no friction), are there two forces? One from the compressed spring and the other from the reaction force by me pushing the spring with the force F?

If I do work by exerting this force F to compress the spring, how do you calculate the work done by using force times distance formula?

There is one force from the spring on you. You can call it the reaction to you r force on the spring but the "reaction" is not a very useful concept.
There is the interaction between you and the spring (two bodies) and this results in a pair of equal and opposite forces, each one acting on one of the two bodies.

You don't if the force is not constant. You need to integrate over the distance. Or just read about work of elastic force and use the formula, if you did not learn calculus yet.

nasu said:
There is the interaction between you and the spring (two bodies) and this results in a pair of equal and opposite forces, each one acting on one of the two bodies.

But the two forces don't have to be equal; how can they satisfy the "this results in a pair of equal and opposite forces" criteria to be action-reaction pair?

Aldnoahz said:
But the two forces don't have to be equal; how can they satisfy the "this results in a pair of equal and opposite forces" criteria to be action-reaction pair?
Yes, they are. They are a pair of forces describing one interaction.

1. What is force analysis of a compressed spring?

Force analysis of a compressed spring is the study of the forces that act on a spring when it is compressed. This includes the force applied to the spring, the force exerted by the spring, and the resulting displacement of the spring.

2. Why is force analysis of a compressed spring important?

Force analysis of a compressed spring is important because it helps us understand the behavior of springs and how they respond to external forces. This information is crucial in engineering and design, as springs are often used in various mechanical systems.

3. What factors affect the force analysis of a compressed spring?

There are several factors that can affect the force analysis of a compressed spring, including the material and shape of the spring, the amount of compression, and the rate at which the force is applied.

4. How is force analysis of a compressed spring performed?

Force analysis of a compressed spring is typically done through mathematical equations and calculations, taking into account the known factors such as the spring constant and displacement. It may also involve experimental testing to verify the results.

5. What are some applications of force analysis of a compressed spring?

Force analysis of a compressed spring has various applications in engineering, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, shock absorbers, and other mechanical systems that utilize springs. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.