1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and newtons law of motion

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    your car rolls on a level street at 50km/h. the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.023. how far will the car go before stopping. (no breaking.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    F_fric=0.226m
    F_a=(-1250/s)*m
    i need to make F_a-F_fric equal to something to solve for s, the m's will cancel. I have no idea what it will equal since its not in equilibrium......

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi pat666! :wink:

use work done and the work-energy theorem :smile:

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    kk ill give that a whirl and tell you if i still cant do it... thanks

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    Hey, i still cant get this i tried finding the net work which i got -1250m J and then W=F/x with F=(-1250m)/x-0.226m. i got the acceleration (for F=ma) using kinematic equations.???????????????

6. May 5, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I don't understand any of that. :redface:

What is the energy? what is the force ?

If the distance is d, what is the work done ?

7. May 5, 2010 #6
    I just found the net work using 1/2mv^2-1/2mu^2. then i used W=F/x, to find the Force i just found the Force from friction and the "applied force". I might be doing something completely wrong, could you give me some more detailed instructions please.

8. May 5, 2010 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

It's W=Fx, not W=F/x. Also, there's no applied force; the force on the car is just the force of friction.

9. May 5, 2010 #8
    ok thats where i screwed up. thanks.......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook