Force between to charged plates

Your name]In summary, the two thin flat plates, each measuring 1m by 1m and separated by 0.005m, are oppositely charged with one plate being +15*10^-6 C and the other -15*10^-6 C. Using the equation F=kq1q2/r^2, we can calculate the attractive force between the plates to be 13.5 N and the repulsive force to be -13.5 N. Therefore, the total force exerted by one plate on the other is 0 N, as the attractive and repulsive forces cancel each other out due to the equal and opposite charges.
craka

Homework Statement

Two thin flat plates measure 1m by 1m and are separated by 0.005m. They are oppositely charged with one plate being +15*10^-6 C and the other -15*10^-6 C.
Estimate the total forces exerted by one plate on the other

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2
[tex]
\int {\vec E \bullet d\vec A} = \frac{{Q_{enc} }}{{\varepsilon _0 }}
[/tex]

[tex]
F = qE
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized that I attempted this as point charges by the distance between is relatively small in comparison with area
When I did this i calculated it to be 80926 N which is wrong, answer is given as 13N

Than I approached from Guass's law

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int {\vec E \bullet d\vec A} = \frac{{Q_{enc} }}{{\varepsilon _0 }} \\
EA = \frac{{Q_{enc} }}{{\varepsilon _0 }} \\
A = 1m^2 \\
E = \frac{{Q_{enc} }}{{\varepsilon _0 A}} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

so electric field from one plate is equal to
[tex]
E = \frac{{15 \times 10^{ - 6} }}{{(8.85 \times 10^{ - 12} ) \times 1}} = 1.695 \times 10^6 N/C
[/tex]

and so the force from one plate is
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
F = qE \\
F = (15 \times 10^{ - 6} )(1.695 \times 10^6 )=25.43N \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Anyone able to help me here with this. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Based on the information given, it seems that the total forces exerted by one plate on the other should be the sum of the attractive and repulsive forces between them. Using the equation F=kq1q2/r^2, we can calculate the attractive force between the plates:

F_attractive = (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(15x10^-6 C)(15x10^-6 C)/(0.005m)^2 = 13.5 N

And using the same equation, we can calculate the repulsive force between the plates:

F_repulsive = (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(15x10^-6 C)(-15x10^-6 C)/(0.005m)^2 = -13.5 N

Therefore, the total force exerted by one plate on the other is the sum of these two forces, which is 13.5 + (-13.5) = 0 N. This means that the plates will not experience any net force on each other, as they are equally charged and the attractive and repulsive forces cancel each other out.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

What is the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is the electrostatic force that exists between two objects with opposite charges. It is also known as the Coulomb force.

How is the force between two charged plates calculated?

The force between two charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the plates.

What factors affect the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the medium between the plates. It is also affected by any other nearby charges or objects that may influence the electric field.

What is the direction of the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is always directed from the positive plate to the negative plate. This is because opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other.

What is the unit of measurement for the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is measured in Newtons (N) in the SI system of units. In the CGS system, it is measured in dynes (dyn).