Volume Charge Density of Proton Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the volume charge density of a 1.0 mA proton beam that has been accelerated through a potential difference of 1 keV. The beam has a uniform current distribution within a diameter of 5mm and has zero current outside of this. The particle starts from rest and the final answer is out by 10^-4 compared to the solution given in the notes. The equations used include ρ = I/νA, W = qV, and v = proton velocity. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the work and using it to find the proton velocity, as well as calculating the surface area of the beam. The resulting charge density is approximately 1.1x10^-4 coul
muonneutrino91

Homework Statement

1.0 mA proton beam accelerated through potential difference of 1 keV.
Determine the volume charge density of the beam after acceleration assuming uniform current distribution within diameter of 5mm, with zero current outside of this.
Particle starting from rest.

Final answer I get is out by 10-4 to the solution given in my notes. Pretty certain its a mistake in the notes, somebody seconding this would give me peace at mind.

Homework Equations

ρ = I/νA
W = qV

ρ = charge density,
A = surface area of beam,
I = beam current,
v = proton velocity,
W = work
V = voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

W = 1.6x10-16 J = KEfinal (since starting from rest)

∴ 2W/mproton = v2
∴ v ≈4.4x105

A = π 6.25x10-6 m2

∴ ρ = 0.001 / π.(6.25x10-6).4.4x105 ≈1.1x10-4

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I just worked through the problem and obtained the same result as you, assuming your answer is in units of coulombs/cubic metre.

Likes muonneutrino91
TonyS said:
Hi, I just worked through the problem and obtained the same result as you, assuming your answer is in units of coulombs/cubic metre.

Thanks, TonyS.

What is volume charge density?

Volume charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a given material or substance.

How is volume charge density calculated?

Volume charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge of a material by its volume. The formula for volume charge density is p = Q/V, where p is the volume charge density, Q is the total charge, and V is the volume of the material.

What is the unit for volume charge density?

The unit for volume charge density is coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

Why is volume charge density important in proton beam research?

Volume charge density is important in proton beam research because it helps to characterize the behavior and properties of the proton beam. It also plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of proton beam therapy, a form of cancer treatment that uses high-energy proton beams to destroy cancer cells while minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.

How does volume charge density affect the behavior of a proton beam?

The higher the volume charge density of a proton beam, the stronger the electric field and the more concentrated the charge. This can affect the trajectory and penetration of the proton beam, making it an important factor to consider in proton beam research and applications.