Force between two different metals?

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with guards breaking in a rolling mill that produces train rail tracks. The rails are 40kg per meter and 65m in length, and pressure is applied to shape them according to standards. The specific guard keeps breaking and the speaker is looking for a way to calculate the force exerted on the guard. They suggest using a detector and accelerator to collect data and calibrate the deflection measurement. A photo of the rail hitting the guard and the location of the breaks may also be helpful.
MorneC
Hi everyone...

I work in a rolling mill that produces train rail tracks. But I'm experiencing some problems. The guards I use keep breaking.

So here is the scinario. The rail we make is 40kg per meter. With a total length of around 65m. When it goes thru the mill pressure is applied to it in order to shape it to the sizes specified in our standards book. The moment it goes thru the mill guides and guards catch it and guide it into the direction I want it to go. The one specific guard keeps breaking. So I'm looking for a way to calculate for much force the rail is pressing down on to the guard.

I'm not even sure where to begin. But if you can tell me what you need, I can get it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My first thought would be to put an detector on the guard that would measure its deflection. I would also add an accelerator on each axis at the same time, in case that data helps me understand the environment later.
Then calibrate the deflection measurement by applying known forces to the guard - in the range of the forces you expect to get during production.

Then let it run and collect the data.

Can you post a photo showing the rail hitting the guard, and indicate where the guard is breaking?

1. What is the force between two different metals?

The force between two different metals is known as intermetallic force, and it refers to the attraction or repulsion between two metals when they come into contact with each other. It is a result of the interaction between the electrons in the outermost energy level of the metal atoms.

2. What factors affect the force between two different metals?

The force between two different metals is affected by various factors such as the type of metals, their surface area, the distance between them, and the presence of any external forces. The type of metal, specifically the number of valence electrons, plays a significant role in determining the strength of the force.

3. Is the force between two different metals always attractive?

No, the force between two different metals can be both attractive and repulsive. It depends on the type of metals and the distance between them. If the metals have opposite charges, the force will be attractive, but if they have the same charge, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the force between two different metals affect their conductivity?

The force between two different metals can affect their conductivity in two ways. Firstly, if the force is attractive, it can enhance the conductivity by promoting the flow of electrons between the metals. Secondly, if the force is repulsive, it can hinder the conductivity by creating a barrier between the metals, preventing the flow of electrons.

5. Can the force between two different metals be measured?

Yes, the force between two different metals can be measured using various methods such as torsion balance, atomic force microscopy, and capacitance-based techniques. These methods allow scientists to measure the force between two metals accurately and study its properties.