Finding Angle in 3D using dot product

In summary: The author should be more clear in their writing about what information is missing, and what assumptions must be made in order to arrive at a solution.]"In summary, there is a problem with the problem statement.
KEØM

Homework Statement

Shown are a mast and a portion of the rigging of a schooner. Members CD and EF lie in the same plane, and CD is of length 7.5 m and forms an angle of 45° with a vertical line drawn through C. Knowing that when [tex]\theta[/tex] = 45° the tension in rope BD is 250N, determine, (a) the angle between the rope BD and gaff CD, (b) the projection on CD of the force exerted by rope BD at point D.

Here is a link to a file sharing site with a picture of the problem. It is number 3.42 on the scanned page.

"[PLAIN problem3.42.pdf"]http://jumalafiles.info/showfile2-37705393236825434789501909625354498/problem342.pdf">download problem3.42.pdf[/URL]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{P}\bullet\vec{Q} = PQcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\lambda_{DC}}\bullet\vec{\lambda_{DB}} = cos\theta[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{\lambda}[/tex] is a unit position vector defining the rope portion DB and member DC in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found [tex]\vec{\lambda_{DC}}[/tex] using the given angles but I cannot find [tex]\vec{\lambda_{DB}}[/tex] with the given info. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
KEØM or anyone in the forum: I have a question about angle theta. The location of point E and F is unknown. Therefore, from the information given, we cannot assume segment EF is horizontal. Since angle theta is measured from an axis parallel to the x-axis passing through point E, and is measured to segment EF (EF being generally not horizontal), then angle theta generally cannot be a horizontal angle. Therefore, how do we know the orientation of skew angle theta? What am I missing? Or is problem 3.42 poorly written?

It is stated the the member CD makes an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical. So one can probably also assume that member EF makes a 45 degree angle with the vertical. However it does still seem poorly drawn.

It seems you can use T=250N along the entire rope to find DB

I will take a better look at it after class...

I did not even think about that nvn. I did the problem assuming that it was horizontal. I now have the solution if you are interested.

It is the second problem in the file:

"[URL title="download file from Jumala Files"]http://jumalafiles.info/showfile2-94156951958121615508614376973722952/hw5_solution.doc [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem 3.41 and 3.42 are written wrong. Consequently, there are infinite correct solutions, depending on what one arbitrarily (illogically) assumes for the missing information in the problem statement.

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together.

How is the dot product used in 3D geometry?

The dot product is used in 3D geometry to find the angle between two vectors. It is also used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular, parallel, or at an angle to each other.

What is the formula for finding the angle between two vectors using the dot product?

The formula for finding the angle between two vectors using the dot product is θ = cos⁻¹((a · b)/(|a|*|b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

What are the applications of finding angles in 3D using the dot product?

Finding angles in 3D using the dot product is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in calculating forces, determining the orientation of objects, and performing transformations in 3D space.

Are there any limitations to using the dot product to find angles in 3D?

One limitation of using the dot product to find angles in 3D is that it can only give the angle between two vectors in the range of 0 to 180 degrees. It cannot differentiate between angles greater than 180 degrees. Additionally, the dot product is not defined for vectors with different dimensions.