Force decreased but velocity continues to increase

In summary: So if you have a situation where there is an initial acceleration in one direction and then an additional acceleration in the opposite direction, then the total acceleration would be negative.
Perseverence

Homework Statement

An object is moving to the right in a straight line. The net force acting on the object is also directed to the right, but the magnitude of the force is decreasing with time. What happens to the object?

The answer states that the object continues to move to the right with speed increasing with time. This doesn't make sense to me because according to the formula Force equals mass times acceleration, reduction of force is a reduction of acceleration. And a reduction of acceleration is a reduction in the velocity. What am I missing here?

Homework Equations

Force equals mass times acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems straightforward that acceleration would decrease

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that acceleration would decrease. What has to be true about acceleration for velocity to decrease?

Perseverence said:
The answer states that the object continues to move to the right with speed increasing with time. This doesn't make sense to me because according to the formula Force equals mass times acceleration, reduction of force is a reduction of acceleration. And a reduction of acceleration is a reduction in the velocity. What am I missing here?

You need to test this with some numbers.

Hint: if inflation reduces, do prices go down?

I see! So velocity would increase until accleration became zero and velocity would not decrease until accleration was negative! because any amount of postive accleration would cause velocity to continue to increase. right?

Likes PeroK
Perseverence said:
I see! So velocity would increase until accleration became zero and velocity would not decrease until accleration was negative! because any amount of postive accleration would cause velocity to continue to increase. right?
Right.

Likes Perseverence
Thank you! Physics forum is amazing!Physics forum is amazing!:smile:

For acceleration, positive and negative refers to the directional sense with respect to a coordinate axis, not increasing or decreasing.

What causes force to decrease while velocity increases?

The decrease in force while velocity increases is due to the presence of a constant external force acting on the object. This external force is responsible for accelerating the object and increasing its velocity.

How does the decrease in force affect the velocity of an object?

The decrease in force causes the object to experience a decrease in acceleration. However, since the object is already in motion, it will continue to increase its velocity at a decreasing rate until it reaches a constant velocity.

What happens when force decreases to zero while velocity is increasing?

When force decreases to zero, the object will continue to move with a constant velocity. This is known as uniform motion or constant velocity motion.

Can an object's velocity continue to increase without any external force?

No, according to Newton's first law of motion, an object will maintain its state of motion (including constant velocity) unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, without any external force, an object's velocity will not continue to increase.

How does the concept of inertia relate to an object's velocity increasing while force decreases?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In this scenario, the object's inertia is responsible for maintaining its velocity even as the force decreases, until it reaches a constant velocity.