Did I make a mistake in my balance force equations for homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating base reaction forces on points A and B with given values for variables a, l, P, and angle alpha. The individual has attempted to create a balance equation system but has encountered unrealistic answers when solving for the equations. After discussing the issue, they realize their mistake and mark the thread as solved.
rihitz

Homework Statement

IMG_20160929_152147.jpg

Given:
a=10m
l=18m
P=18kN
angle alpha = 35 deg

The task is to calculate the base reaction forces on A and on B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20160929_152431.jpg

This is my attempt on creating the balance equation system.[/B]
When replacing the variables with numbers, and trying to solve the equations, I get , in my opinion , unrealistic answers.

Is there any mistake this far?

Physics news on Phys.org
rihitz said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 106648
Given:
a=10m
l=18m
P=18kN
angle alpha = 35 deg

The task is to calculate the base reaction forces on A and on B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 106649
This is my attempt on creating the balance equation system.[/B]
When replacing the variables with numbers, and trying to solve the equations, I get , in my opinion , unrealistic answers.

Is there any mistake this far?
No.

Chestermiller said:
No.
IMG_20160929_154916.jpg
So this is correct as well?

I guess I found my mistake.

rihitz said:
View attachment 106651 So this is correct as well?

I guess I found my mistake.
Maybe you want to mark the thread Solved.

Related to Did I make a mistake in my balance force equations for homework?

1. What is a balance force equation?

A balance force equation is a mathematical representation of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

2. Why is it important to use balance force equations in science?

Balance force equations allow scientists to quantitatively analyze the forces acting on an object and predict its motion. This is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and biomechanics.

3. How do you determine the forces acting on an object in a balance force equation?

In a balance force equation, the forces acting on an object are typically divided into two categories: external forces, such as gravity or friction, and internal forces, such as tension in a rope or compression in a spring. These forces can be determined through experimentation or by using known physical laws and principles.

4. Can balance force equations be used for objects in motion?

Yes, balance force equations can be used for both stationary and moving objects. In cases where an object is in motion, the equation may include additional terms, such as velocity and acceleration, to account for changes in the object's motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using balance force equations?

Balance force equations are based on ideal conditions and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, they do not account for factors such as air resistance, which can affect the motion of an object. Therefore, they should be used with caution and in conjunction with other experiments and data.