Force Exerted by Road on an Accelerating Car

In summary, a 2300 kg SUV can accelerate from 0 to 60 mi/h in 9.0 s. Using the equation F=ma, the force exerted by the road on the SUV can be calculated to be approximately 6854.61 N. The additional force of gravity (Fy=m*g) acting on the SUV is 22540 N. However, the total force exerted by the road on the SUV would be the square root of the sum of the squared horizontal and vertical forces, which is approximately 23181.28 N.
yoshi824

Homework Statement

A huge SUV of mass 2300 kg can accelerate from 0 to 60 mi/h in 9.0 s. What force does the road exert on the SUV?

V0 = 0
V= 60mph or 26.8224m/s
M= 2300kg
t=9s

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a= (26.8224) / 9 = 2.98
Fx = ma = 2.98*2300 = 6854.61 N

Fy = m*g = 2300*9.8 = 22540 N

So those are the two forces that I was able to calculate but I am not sure how I find the force exerted by the road on the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

other info: I read somewhere that the force would be sqrt (Fx2 + Fy2) but that didn't give me the right answer if my above work is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you made a mistake I would like to know what it is. Your work looks right to me.

What is the force exerted by the road on an accelerating car?

The force exerted by the road on an accelerating car is known as the reaction force. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the car on the road, as described by Newton's third law of motion.

How does the force exerted by the road affect the acceleration of a car?

The force exerted by the road on an accelerating car is directly proportional to the car's mass and acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). This means that a greater force from the road results in a greater acceleration of the car.

What factors can affect the magnitude of the force exerted by the road on an accelerating car?

The magnitude of the force exerted by the road on an accelerating car can be affected by several factors, including the weight and speed of the car, the condition of the road surface, and the friction between the tires and the road.

Can the direction of the force exerted by the road change during acceleration?

No, the direction of the force exerted by the road on an accelerating car remains constant. However, as the car accelerates, the overall force exerted by the road may change due to changes in the car's speed and direction.

How does the force exerted by the road on an accelerating car relate to the car's velocity?

The force exerted by the road on an accelerating car is directly proportional to the car's acceleration, which is the change in velocity over time. This means that as the car's velocity increases, the force exerted by the road must also increase to maintain the car's acceleration.