Force exerted by water on a diver

In summary, a man weighing 88 kg falls from a 3.6 m high diving platform and reaches the water after 2.3 seconds. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. The average force exerted by the water on him is 321.391 N. To solve for the force, the formula F=ma is used where m is the mass of the man and a is the acceleration due to gravity. Subtracting the force of gravity from the total force gives the correct answer.
LOannie234
A(n) 88 kg man, standing erect, steps o! a
3.6 m high diving platform and begins to fall
from rest. The man comes to rest 2.3 s after
reaching the water.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

What average force did the water exert on
him?

My friend and I have tried many different approaches to this but cannot figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi LOannie234! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Split it into two parts, air and water, and use the standard constant acceleration equations …

what do you get? :smile:

i used the equation vi=vf+at where vi=0 and a=9.81 and t=2.3 and solved for vf which ended up being -22.54. i then plugged that into the equation m(v-vo)/delta t and got the wrong answer

LOannie234 said:
i used the equation vi=vf+at where vi=0 and a=9.81 and t=2.3

but that's the equation for falling from rest through air

start again :smile:

can you direct me in the right direction? I honestly have no idea how to do this problem. I have been working it for nearly an hour

Last edited:
Do the air part first …

find vf for when the diver hits the water …

what do you get? :smile:

(that value will then become your vi for the water part. :wink:)

Using the conservation of energy,
mgh=(1/2)mv^2
so
v=(2gh)^(1/2)

which gets me 8.4m/s

This is then the velocity he enters the water, so

v=vf+at
0=8.4m/s+a(2.3s)
a=-3.652m/s^2

Then F=ma,
F=(88kg)(-3.652m/s^2)=-321.391 N

This is still not close to the answer. Where else am I going wrong?

That's the total force … now subtract the force of gravity. :wink:

thanks so much! Moving onto that other problem... where would i start? I have no idea

start by starting

1. What is the force exerted by water on a diver?

The force exerted by water on a diver is known as hydrostatic pressure. It is the pressure exerted by a fluid, in this case water, on an object immersed in it. This force is dependent on the depth of the water and the density of the fluid.

2. How does the depth of the water affect the force on a diver?

The deeper the water, the greater the hydrostatic pressure and therefore the greater the force exerted on the diver. This is because the weight of the water above the diver increases with depth, causing an increase in pressure.

3. Does the density of the water affect the force on a diver?

Yes, the density of the water also affects the force exerted on a diver. The denser the water, the greater the hydrostatic pressure and therefore the greater the force on the diver. This is why diving in saltwater, which is denser than freshwater, requires more pressure compensation.

4. How does the shape and size of the diver affect the force of water?

The shape and size of the diver can impact the force of water. A larger and bulkier diver will experience more force due to their larger surface area. Additionally, the shape of the diver can also affect the direction of the force, with a more streamlined shape experiencing less resistance from the water.

5. What safety precautions should be taken to prevent injury from the force of water on a diver?

To prevent injury from the force of water on a diver, it is important to follow proper diving techniques and safety procedures. This includes properly equalizing pressure in the ears and sinuses, using proper breathing techniques, and avoiding sudden movements that can cause rapid changes in pressure. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain equipment to ensure it is functioning correctly and can withstand the force of water at various depths.