Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Needed to Turn Generator at Maximum Output

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hi I was hoping someone could tell me the approx. amount of radial force needed to keep a 10000W generator turning while producing maximum output if there is a 1ft pulley connected to it that does the turning.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There shouldn't be any radial force to keep a generator turning.

Energy is force * distance, and power is energy/time.
    So if you have a 1 metre radius drive wheel on the turbine and a force of 1 newton at the edge pushing it around then the energy for each turn will be 2*pi*1 = 6.3 Joules, if you turn it once/second you will get 6.3Watts.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    When generator has a load on it, it becomes more difficult to turn. So how many N do you need to turn it while it produces 10000W if the drive wheel is 0.3m?

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could turn it at one rpm with 10,000N or at 60Hz with 2.8N
    Depends on the generator - normally they are designed for a particular speed which depends on the electricty frequency, the number of phases and the generator design.

6. Mar 11, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Assuming perfect conversion of mechanical to electrical work, power=rpm*torque. You should be able to take it from there.

7. Mar 11, 2009 #6
    So if there are 746 watts/horsepower for turning it and the generator frame is 78% efficient. What would the motive force be for my 10,000 watt goal.

8. Mar 11, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

C'mon, make an attempt to calculate it with the formula given! This site is for learning, not spoon feeding!

9. Mar 11, 2009 #8
    Power = rpm * torque only in some amazingly bastardized units!

Power = omega * T = (2*pi*rpm/60) * Torque

in more conventional SI units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook