1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of attraction between proton and electron

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the force of attraction between a proton and an electron in a hydrogen atom, if they are 5.00 x 10^-11m apart?

2. Relevant equations
    F=kQ1Q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to go from here since i don't know the charge of the proton or electron. I just started the unit on electricity and am having a hard time with the first exercise sheet

Thanks for any help you can give me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    you need to refer to you data book to get the charge on an electron and a proton.
    Your equation is correct

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    Ok i went through it again so is the elementary charge be considered the proton charge = 1.60 x 10^-19 and electrical charge would be 1 C = 6.24 x 10^18?

5. Dec 20, 2011 #4
    You have it....the charges are equal and are 1.6 x 10^-19C
    The separation (r) = 5 x 10^-11m
    You need the constant,k, then you can complete the calculation.

6. Dec 20, 2011 #5
    Ok i finally got thanks

Just one thing is confusing me and that is how the proton and the electron have the same electrical charge? I was under the impression they were different or atleast the electron had a (-) ?

7. Dec 20, 2011 #6
    Charge is same. For convention we put a negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook