Force on a charge due to charged sheet

In summary, the problem is to find the force on a positive charge placed at a distance ##d## from a positively charged infinite plate. The electric field can be calculated using Gauss's Law, but the teacher suggested a different method involving a dipole configuration with a negative charge on the opposite side of the plate. This method results in a force that depends on ##d##, unlike the normal electric field which is independent of ##d##. The plate is a metal plate with surface charge density ##\rho##.
Yashbhatt

Homework Statement

I want to find the force on a positive charge placed at a distance ##d## from a positively charged infinite plate. Of course, it can be simply done by finding the electric field due to the plate using Gauss's Law.

But my teacher suggested a different method and I am unable to comprehend it. He said that the field lines due to this particular configuration would be the same as the one in which a negative charge were to be placed on the opposite side of the plate at a distance ##d## forming a dipole.

3xPUL.png

Here ##d = d_1##.

Homework Equations

$$F=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2}$$
$$E=\frac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}$$
$$\ \ \ \oint _S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$
$$F=qE$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal electric field is ##\frac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}## which gives a force independent from ##d## but using the above method, the force is ##\frac{kQ^2}{(2d)^2}## which depends on ##d## . What is the method at work? Is the force now simply the force between two positive and negative charges? i.e. Is the force on ##+Q## just ##\frac{kQ^2}{(2d)^2}## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:

Homework Statement

I want to find the force on a positive charge placed at a distance ##d## from a positively charged infinite plate. Of course, it can be simply done by finding the electric field due to the plate using Gauss's Law.

But my teacher suggested a different method and I am unable to comprehend it. He said that the field lines due to this particular configuration would be the same as the one in which a negative charge were to be placed on the opposite side of the plate at a distance ##d## forming a dipole.

3xPUL.png

Here ##d = d_1##.

Homework Equations

$$F=\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2}$$
$$E=\frac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}$$
$$\ \ \ \oint _S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$
$$F=qE$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal electric field is ##\frac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}## which gives a force independent from ##d## but using the above method, the force is ##\frac{kQ^2}{(2d)^2}## which depends on ##d## . What is the method at work? Is the force now simply the force between two positive and negative charges? i.e. Is the force on ##+Q## just ##\frac{kQ^2}{(2d)^2}## ?
Copy the original text of the problem, please.
You said that the infinite plate was positively charged. Was the plate metal or insulator? What was the surface charge density on it?

ehild said:
Copy the original text of the problem, please.
You said that the infinite plate was positively charged. Was the plate metal or insulator? What was the surface charge density on it?

The plate is a metal plate and the surface charge density is ##\rho##.

1. What is the force on a charge due to a charged sheet?

The force on a charge due to a charged sheet is the electrostatic force exerted on the charge by the electric field created by the charged sheet. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the charged sheet and depends on the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the sheet, and the surface charge density of the sheet.

2. How is the force on a charge due to a charged sheet calculated?

The force on a charge due to a charged sheet is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges divided by the square of the distance between them. In this case, the charge on the sheet is considered to be a point charge, and the distance is measured from the sheet to the charge.

3. How does the distance from the charged sheet affect the force on a charge?

The force on a charge due to a charged sheet is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the sheet. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. This is because the electric field created by the charged sheet weakens as the distance from the sheet increases.

4. What is the direction of the force on a charge due to a charged sheet?

The force on a charge due to a charged sheet is always perpendicular to the surface of the sheet. This means that the force acts in a direction that is either towards or away from the sheet, depending on the charge of the sheet and the charge of the particle.

5. How does the surface charge density of the sheet affect the force on a charge?

The force on a charge due to a charged sheet is directly proportional to the surface charge density of the sheet. This means that as the surface charge density increases, the force on the charge also increases. This is because a higher surface charge density creates a stronger electric field, resulting in a stronger force on the charge.