Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a particle in a homogeneous electric field

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    I understand that in a homogeneous electric field, the force on a particle, regardless of its location, is the same.

How can this be? Wouldn't a positively charged particle experience a greater force when near the positively charged side? What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't think about how the field was created, just imagine the field being in some box that defines the region over which the field is uniform (i.e. there is nothing but the field there, and the particle). If the region is really, really big, there are no real landmarks (wiggliness of the field, etc.) the only thing that you can see is the strength of the field by the force on the charge. If the field strength is the same everywhere, should the force felt be any different?

Think of the analogy with the force due to gravity for a ball placed on an incline. Is the force on a ball bigger at the top of the incline or at the bottom of the incline?
    The thing that is different is the gravitaional potential. When the ball is at the top of the incline, the gravitational potential is larger (there is the ability to extract more work from its falling). Same goes for a charge in a uniform electric field: force is the same, but the potential is different.

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Per definition.

5. Feb 10, 2015 #4
    Thank you! I makes complete sense now :) Sorry for late reply, was busy studying for the test lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook