Force Problem - How do i get the inclination?

• Thread starter rose123456789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: You have not allowed for the applied force being at some angle to the horizontal. What will that do to the normal force?
rose123456789
A 10.0 kg object is resting on a horizontal surface with coefficient of friction of 0.7. Determine the minimum force F that can move this object. At what inclination should force F be applied? Present your answer in nearest hundredths.

I don't know how where to start?, How do i get the inclination ? thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure there's an equation for this and you already have half of the variables. A quick google search would show you the answer. Try searching for coefficient of friction and in this case it's probably static friction.

ok thanks!

rose123456789 said:
ok thanks!
Does that mean you found the answer?
Really you should be figuring this out for yourself using free body diagrams and applying the force balance equations. You'll learn more that way than looking the answer up. Besides, it often happens that there is some subtle difference between the problem you are trying to solve and the one you find lying around on the net.

oh no, I'm still figuring out the answer

haruspex said:
Does that mean you found the answer?
Really you should be figuring this out for yourself using free body diagrams and applying the force balance equations. You'll learn more that way than looking the answer up. Besides, it often happens that there is some subtle difference between the problem you are trying to solve and the one you find lying around on the net.

i'm still figuring out the answer

rose123456789 said:
oh no, I'm still figuring out the answer
Ok. Have you drawn yourself a force diagram? What forces do you have, and in what directions do they act?

haruspex said:
Ok. Have you drawn yourself a force diagram? What forces do you have, and in what directions do they act?
i calculated that the normal force is 98N and the friction force is 68.6N . and i don't know what is next

rose123456789 said:
i calculated that the normal force is 98N and the friction force is 68.6N . and i don't know what is next
just take angle as some 'x' and force as F and write the equations .u wil get as
Fcos x=0.7(w-F sinx)
solving this u wil get the eq. as 10 cos x+7 sin x should me max for the force to be minimum.
and solving x=34.99 degrees

rohitjinnu16 said:
just take angle as some 'x' and force as F and write the equations .u wil get as
Fcos x=0.7(w-F sinx)
solving this u wil get the eq. as 10 cos x+7 sin x should me max for the force to be minimum.

how did you get 10 cos x +7 sin x

rohitjinnu16 said:
Fcos x=0.7(w-F sinx)
ohhh ok i got it now thanks

rose123456789 said:
ohhh ok i got it now thanks
kk fn.

rohitjinnu16 said:
kk fn.

hahahahaha thanks a lot

rohitjinnu16 said:
kk fn.
ok I'm a bit lost could you explain how did you get 10 cos x +7 sin x

rose123456789 said:
ok I'm a bit lost could you explain how did you get 10 cos x +7 sin x
F cos x =0.7(w-F sin x)
F cos x/0.7=w-F sin x
F((cos x/0.7)+sin x)=w
F(10 cos x+7 sin x)/7=w
F=(7w)/(10 cos x+7 sinx)

rose123456789 said:
You have not allowed for the applied force being at some angle to the horizontal. What will that do to the normal force?

1. What is meant by inclination in a force problem?

Inclination in a force problem refers to the angle at which a force is acting in relation to a reference point or axis. It can also be thought of as the direction or tilt of the force.

2. How do I determine the inclination of a force?

To determine the inclination of a force, you will need to have a clear understanding of the direction and magnitude of the force in relation to a reference point or axis. From there, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent to calculate the angle of inclination.

3. Can multiple forces have the same inclination?

Yes, it is possible for multiple forces to have the same inclination. This means that they are acting in the same direction or at the same angle in relation to a reference point or axis.

4. How does the inclination of a force affect its impact?

The inclination of a force can affect its impact by changing the direction or magnitude of its effect. A force with a greater inclination will have a greater impact in a specific direction, while a force with a smaller inclination may have a smaller impact or even cancel out another force.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces with different inclinations?

Examples of forces with different inclinations in real life include the force of gravity acting on an object as it rolls down a hill, the force of wind pushing a sailboat in a certain direction, and the force of a hammer striking a nail at an angle to drive it into a surface.