1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to move a object on slope with rolling tyres

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    Consider a object of 5 kilos which is fixed with 4 rolling tyres (like in a trolly) which is in a slanting position of 30 degree angle.

My question:How to find the force required to move the object upwards the slope along with rolling resistance considered?

I tried the force using the F push formula for slope & i tried the coeffiecient for friction of tyres as 0.001

F push= mgsin(theta) + coeff of friction*mgsin(theta)
    F push=5 * 9.8 *sin(30) + 0.001 * 5*9.8 * cos(30)
    F push=25.542 Newton

Is this correct???

I researched this problem in google, but since the above problem deals with Rolling friction as its attached with tyres, what is the correct method to find the exact force!!! I s it the correct method to find the object moving up the slope with tyres ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

JBA

You equation is correct.

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    is it the correct formulae to use it to my problem?

5. Nov 3, 2015 #4

JBA

If the above is a full statement of the problem as presented to you then yes it is; however, I am surprised that you were not given a specific coefficient of rolling resistance as a part of the problem statement.

6. Nov 3, 2015 #5
    as i am using steel surface and rubber tyres, i thought its coefficient is 0.001, but i seriously have a doubt over that coeffienct part..as the slope is steel and the tyre is rubber! is the co efficient i used here is right?

7. Nov 3, 2015 #6

JBA

That is hard to say because the actual rolling resistance of a rubber tyre is a function of the tyre's individual design and even more importantly, its inflation pressure; as a result, to the best of my knowledge there is no one "accepted" value of rolling resistance for inflated rubber tyres.

As for steel wheels or hard rubber covered steel wheels, I have no background related to those; but, in all of these cases the ultimate rolling resistance is a factor that actually must include the mechanical wheel/axle bearing friction, etc. That is the reason, I am surprised you have not been given a specific value in your problem statement.

Ultimately, your equation provides for all possibilities, including a value of "0" so for that reason I would find it hard for anyone to question your method of calculation with no factor value given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook