Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to move a object on slope with rolling tyres

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    Consider a object of 5 kilos which is fixed with 4 rolling tyres (like in a trolly) which is in a slanting position of 30 degree angle.

My question:How to find the force required to move the object upwards the slope along with rolling resistance considered?

I tried the force using the F push formula for slope & i tried the coeffiecient for friction of tyres as 0.001

F push= mgsin(theta) + coeff of friction*mgsin(theta)
    F push=5 * 9.8 *sin(30) + 0.001 * 5*9.8 * cos(30)
    F push=25.542 Newton

Is this correct???

I researched this problem in google, but since the above problem deals with Rolling friction as its attached with tyres, what is the correct method to find the exact force!!! I s it the correct method to find the object moving up the slope with tyres ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

JBA

You equation is correct.

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    is it the correct formulae to use it to my problem?

5. Nov 3, 2015 #4

JBA

If the above is a full statement of the problem as presented to you then yes it is; however, I am surprised that you were not given a specific coefficient of rolling resistance as a part of the problem statement.

6. Nov 3, 2015 #5
    as i am using steel surface and rubber tyres, i thought its coefficient is 0.001, but i seriously have a doubt over that coeffienct part..as the slope is steel and the tyre is rubber! is the co efficient i used here is right?

7. Nov 3, 2015 #6

JBA

That is hard to say because the actual rolling resistance of a rubber tyre is a function of the tyre's individual design and even more importantly, its inflation pressure; as a result, to the best of my knowledge there is no one "accepted" value of rolling resistance for inflated rubber tyres.

As for steel wheels or hard rubber covered steel wheels, I have no background related to those; but, in all of these cases the ultimate rolling resistance is a factor that actually must include the mechanical wheel/axle bearing friction, etc. That is the reason, I am surprised you have not been given a specific value in your problem statement.

Ultimately, your equation provides for all possibilities, including a value of "0" so for that reason I would find it hard for anyone to question your method of calculation with no factor value given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook