Force Required To Prevent Breaking an Ankle

• Thread starter MyNewPony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the compressive force necessary to break the tibia is about 1.6 x 10^8 N m^2 and the smallest cross sectional area of the tibia is 3.2 cm^2. A person of mass 6.0 x 10 kg jumps from a height of 2.0 m and lowers their center of mass by 1 cm while bending their knees to absorb the shock. The collision time is 1.6 x 10^-3 seconds and the average force of the ground on the person is -234750 N. The average impulse of the ground on the person is -375.6 and the required pressure to break the ankle is 7.3 x 10^
MyNewPony

Homework Statement

The compressive force per area necessary to break the tibia in the lower leg, is about F/A =1.6 ×10 N m^2. The smallest cross sectional area of the tibia, about 3.2 cm^2, is slightly above the ankle. Suppose a person of mass m =6.0 ×10 kg jumps to the ground from a height h0 =2.0 m and absorbs the shock of hitting the ground by bending the knees. Assume that there is constant deceleration during the collision. During the collision, the person lowers his center of mass by an amount d=1 cm.

a) What is the collision time, t?
b) Find the average force of the ground on the person during the collision.
c) What is the average impulse of the ground on the person?
d) Will the person break his ankle? How much would you need to lower your center of mass so you do not break your ankle?

Homework Equations

p = mv
F = p/t
J = pf - pi

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I first started by finding the final velocity.

vf = sqrt(2ad) = sqrt(2(9.8)(2)) = 6.26 m/s

I then divided the distance he lowers his mass by this amount.

t = d/v = 0.01/6.26 = 1.6 x 10^-3 s

b) The average is force is simply the change in position over the time.

F = m(vf-vi)/t = 60(0-6.26)/(1.6 x 10^-3) = -234750 N

c) The impulse is the change in momentum.

J = pf - pi = 0 - 60(6.26) = -375.6

d) P = F/A = -234750/(3.2x10^-4) = 7.3 x 10^8

This pressure is greater, therefore, he will break his ankle. I'm not sure if I did anything correctly. Can someone show me what I'm supposed to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry. I do not have a calculator with me to definitely confirm your results, but you did it the right way.

Pinu7 said:
Don't worry. I do not have a calculator with me to definitely confirm your results, but you did it the right way.

Are you certain? Because the pressure I got was MUCH larger than the required pressure.

Is he landing on BOTH feet?
MyNewPony said:
Are you certain? Because the pressure I got was MUCH larger than the required pressure.

Well it makes sense that the pressure is going to be very large.

Wait, t=d/v will not work since velocity is NOT constant. t is supposed to be twice as large.

Last edited:
Pinu7 said:
Is he landing on BOTH feet?

Well it makes sense that the pressure is going to be very large.

Wait, t=d/v will not work since velocity is NOT constant. t is supposed to be twice as large.

Yes, he's landing on both feet.

So I'm supposed to use average velocity?

MyNewPony, I think you have your question wrong. 1.6x10^1 is a bit small, you think? If that were true, I calculated my tibia would break every time I stand up.

Reread the question, I am sure the minimum pressure is several orders of magnitude larger. :)

Pinu7 said:
MyNewPony, I think you have your question wrong. 1.6x10^1 is a bit small, you think? If that were true, I calculated my tibia would break every time I stand up.

Reread the question, I am sure the minimum pressure is several orders of magnitude larger. :)

I checked numerous times. That is indeed the minimum pressure it gives in the question.

The reason I asked is because I found this: http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/hs/physics/e/8_01t_fall_2004_ps09.pdf

Question #1 looks the same as yours but his tibia is ten million times stronger!

Last edited by a moderator:
MyNewPony said:
The compressive force per area necessary to break the tibia in the lower leg, is about F/A =1.6 ×10 N m^2.
Note that in your problem statement the exponent of the 10 got left out. Don't assume that it's 101. (It's more like 108.)

Edit: Pinu7 beat me to it. Check out the link he posted.

Doc Al said:
Note that in your problem statement the exponent of the 10 got left out. Don't assume that it's 101. (It's more like 108.)

Edit: Pinu7 beat me to it. Check out the link he posted.

Ugh, that's not fair.

I had my exam yesterday, and this was the exact question that was on it. I figure I should complain.

What is the force required to prevent breaking an ankle?

The force required to prevent breaking an ankle varies depending on the individual's weight, age, and bone strength. It is generally recommended to keep the force below 2.5 times one's body weight to avoid injury.

How does the force required to prevent breaking an ankle differ between activities?

The force required to prevent breaking an ankle can differ between activities due to the impact and stress placed on the ankle. Activities such as running and jumping may require a higher force compared to walking or standing.

Can wearing proper footwear affect the force required to prevent breaking an ankle?

Yes, wearing proper footwear can help distribute the force and reduce the risk of breaking an ankle. Shoes with good ankle support and cushioning can also absorb some of the force and protect the ankle.

What other factors can affect the force required to prevent breaking an ankle?

Other factors that can affect the force required to prevent breaking an ankle include the terrain, speed, and sudden movements. For example, running on uneven or slippery surfaces can increase the force and increase the risk of injury.

Is there a specific exercise or training to increase the force required to prevent breaking an ankle?

There are specific exercises and training programs that can help strengthen the muscles and ligaments around the ankle, making it more resilient to force and reducing the risk of injury. These include balance and stability exercises, as well as ankle strengthening exercises.