Force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking

In summary, the conversation discusses the force needed to pull out a nail that has been driven into plywood and decking using a roofing coil nailer, and the challenges of finding the necessary formulas and data for this task. The participants consider the coefficients of friction and spring constants as potential factors in calculating the force needed. They also mention data on nail withdrawal in different materials and the difficulties of correlating this data to the force needed. Finally, they mention using a wedge acting tear-off tool for shingles and the implications of not having enough knowledge and understanding in this area.
Akita

Homework Statement

Roofing coil nailer drives with 430 in lb into plywood,decking 1.5" nail
How much force do i need to pull the nail out ,i don't know what else holds nail in place other than friction
ELI5 ,im as uneducated as it comes. :D

Homework Equations

i don't know any

The Attempt at a Solution

googled few hours but lacking of actual knowledge makes it hard to find needed formulas,theorems what forces apply to this

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Akita said:

Homework Statement

Roofing coil nailer drives with 430 in lb into plywood,decking 1.5" nail
How much force do i need to pull the nail out ,i don't know what else holds nail in place other than friction
ELI5 ,im as uneducated as it comes. :D

Homework Equations

i don't know any

The Attempt at a Solution

googled few hours but lacking of actual knowledge makes it hard to find needed formulas,theorems what forces apply to this
That's a very challenging and practical problem. Are you told what tolerance your answer needs to be within?

I would start by looking at the coefficients of static and dynamic friction between the nail metal material and the wood material. Then I would look up the spring constant of the plywood (as it's deflected out of the nail hole). Can you find those numbers and say what you would do next?

Likes Akita
What is the nature of the data that you are provided? That is what is 430 in-lbs and what is the value of knowing the nail length.?

Likes Akita
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That's a very challenging and practical problem. Are you told what tolerance your answer needs to be within?

I would start by looking at the coefficients of static and dynamic friction between the nail metal material and the wood material. Then I would look up the spring constant of the plywood (as it's deflected out of the nail hole). Can you find those numbers and say what you would do next?
i found some data Nail Withdrawal and it says 2 inch nail uses 59 lb in OSB 7/16,id guess double that in pine planks so 100 lb.
gleem said:
What is the nature of the data that you are provided? That is what is 430 in-lbs and what is the value of knowing the nail length.?
430 in lb is for coil roofing nailer force ,for 3/4 to 1 3/4 nails
----------------
im designing wedge acting tear off tool for shingles and wanted to calculate how much force would i need to push out or pull out with fulcrum from above materials.
How to correlate 59 lb in given data to force in Nm ,thank yoyu guys for feedback,not knowing stuff is kinda painful :D

Attachments

• gfgghh.png
    gfgghh.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 406
Akita said:
430 in lb is for coil roofing nailer force ,for 3/4 to 1 3/4 nails
I doubt if that is as helpful as you might think it is. The problem is that this is an amount of force that DEFINITELY will seat the nail. That is, it is more force than is needed but you don't know by how much.

Likes Akita, berkeman, Bystander and 1 other person
phinds said:
I doubt if that is as helpful as you might think it is. The problem is that this is an amount of force that DEFINITELY will seat the nail. That is, it is more force than is needed but you don't know by how much.
i got it,all numbers kinda straight now. thank you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking?

The force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking depends on various factors such as the type of nail, the type of decking material, and the length of the nail. Generally, it can range from 80 to 100 pounds of force.

2. How do you calculate the force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking?

To calculate the force required, you can use the formula F = P x L, where F is the force in pounds, P is the pitch of the nail, and L is the length of the nail. The pitch is the distance between the threads of the nail.

3. Does the angle of the nail affect the force required to pull it out of decking?

Yes, the angle of the nail can affect the force required to pull it out of decking. A nail with a larger angle will require more force to pull out compared to a nail with a smaller angle.

4. Can the type of decking material affect the force required to pull a roofing nail out?

Yes, the type of decking material can affect the force required to pull a roofing nail out. For example, a nail may require more force to pull out of hardwood decking compared to softwood decking.

5. Is there a tool or device that can accurately measure the force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking?

Yes, there are tools and devices such as a force gauge that can accurately measure the force required to pull a roofing nail out of decking. These tools can provide precise measurements and help determine the appropriate force needed for a specific nail and decking material combination.