Force (Thrust) produced by a water pump at hose end

In summary, force or thrust produced by a water pump at the hose end is directly related to the pressure and flow rate of the water being pumped. The higher the pressure and flow rate, the greater the force or thrust produced by the pump. This force is what allows the water to be pushed through the hose and out the other end. The force produced can be affected by various factors such as the size and design of the pump, the type of motor being used, and any obstructions or restrictions in the hose.
als29192
Hi all,

I have been searching for days (and trying many different formulas) to try and work out the force (thrust) produced by a water pump at the end of a hose (given a perfect frictionless world) and was hoping someone could help...

The following specifications are given:

Fluid: Water (Density = 1000kg/m3)
Inlet/Outlet/Hose diameter: 6cm
Inlet/Outlet/Hose area: 0.028m2
Flow rate of pump: 1000L/m
Pump Head: 25m = 3.5kg/cm2 - Head to Pressure: p(kg/cm2) = 0.1 h(m)
Starting velocity of water: 0m/s
Pump height: 0m

What would be the correct formula to determine the thrust produced by the exiting water, think of the hose exit as a rocket engine exit... Essentially, I'm trying to workout if the following theoretical pump could lift say a 10kg weight off the ground (require around 98N for force).

If you need any more information please let me know!

Thanks,

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is force (thrust) produced by a water pump at hose end?

The force (thrust) produced by a water pump at hose end is the amount of pressure that is exerted on the water by the pump. This force is responsible for pushing the water through the hose and out the end.

2. How is the force (thrust) measured?

The force (thrust) produced by a water pump at hose end is measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). This measurement is typically displayed on the pump or in the pump's manual.

3. What factors affect the force (thrust) of a water pump?

The force (thrust) of a water pump can be affected by several factors, including the power of the pump, the size and length of the hose, and the viscosity and density of the water being pumped. These factors can all impact the amount of pressure that is exerted on the water and thus the force produced at the hose end.

4. How can I increase the force (thrust) of my water pump?

To increase the force (thrust) of your water pump, you can adjust the power and speed of the pump, use a shorter and wider hose, and make sure the water being pumped is at a lower viscosity and density. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the pump can help ensure it is operating at its maximum force.

5. Is the force (thrust) of a water pump always constant?

No, the force (thrust) of a water pump can vary depending on the conditions and factors mentioned above. It is important to regularly check and adjust the pump's settings and components to maintain a consistent force for optimal performance.