1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the suction force produced by a Venturi

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    Dear all,

As I understand the venturi effect, if a flow of water passes through a constriction, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases at the restriction. The decrease in pressure allows a suction force to be produced.

I am trying to use this principle in order to power a vacuum cup inside a water pipe, but my initial calculations for estimating the suction force are producing seemingly meaningless results.

According to http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=venturi", the formula describing the venturi effect is:

[tex]Q=1/4\,\pi\,{{\it D1}}^{2}\sqrt {2}\sqrt {{\frac {{\it P1}-{\it P2}}{
    \rho}}}{\frac {1}{\sqrt {{\frac {{{\it D1}}^{4}}{{{\it D2}}^{4}}}-1}}}
    [/tex]

From my understanding, the vacuum pressure generated by the venturi is [tex]P1-P2[/tex]. So, rearranging the above equation to make that the subject gives:

[tex]{\it P1}-{\it P2}=8\,{Q}^{2} \left( {\frac {{{\it D1}}^{4}}{{{\it D2}}
    ^{4}}}-1 \right) \rho{\pi }^{-2}{{\it D1}}^{-4}[/tex]

In my situation, I have the following known information:

• Diameter of pipe: 8"
    • Water speed: 0.9m/s
    • Water Pressure: 2.8bar

From the diameter and water speed, I calculate that the flow rate is:

[tex]0.02919\,{\frac {{m}^{3}}{s}}[/tex]

Other information that is required:
    • Venturi upstream diameter D1: 10e-3 m
    • Venturi downstream diameter D2: 5e-3 m
    • Density of water rho: 1000kg/m^3

Substituting all of that information into the formula gives us a pressure difference of 1.035716981*10^9 Pa (which looks huge).

Assuming that my suction cup has a 15mm radius, in order to work out the suction force I use:

[tex]F=PA[/tex]

This gives me a suction force of 732105N!

This seems extremely high to me, which makes me think that I have misunderstood the principle. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

--Amr

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Any thoughts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook