What is the minimum force required to lift an object?

• I
  • Thread starter Yahya Sharif
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Lift
In summary: This violates the law of conservation of energy.If you say I can use an x let's say 10 N to accelerate a 60 kg body one meter against gravity then the body can return back with force 600 N" the gravity weight " one meter, in such case I will do work " 10*1=10 Joules" far less than the work I get " 600*1=600 Joules"
malawi_glenn said:
And there is no point for a mere mortal to lift very heavy
What about having undergrads start a rumor that you will only allow TA’s that bench at least 100 kg in your courses? 😛

Edit: The TAs were more than happy to fuel this rumor …

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
What about having undergrads start a rumor that you will only allow TA’s that bench at least 100 kg in your courses? 😛

Edit: The TAs were more than happy to fuel this rumor …
I don't have the luxury of having TAs :(

• Sad
Likes vanhees71
Yahya Sharif said:
Can you dare and put a rock of 60 kg on your belly?😊
malawi_glenn said:
Yes.

Why do you think it is something special about rocks?

The load in the video is on the chest which is much stronger than a belly.
Ibix said:
Edit: my twelve year old has sat on my stomach in the past, though, and he's about 40kg. I'm still alive.
I'm not sure about a human standing on another human but if you use a rock the belly will damage severely.
Orodruin said:
The heaviest deadlift on record is 501 kg. By your argumentation this should have ripped the guy’s arms off.
Not necessarily. The arms and joints are much stronger than the belly.

My weight is 59 kg. The video shows me lying on a block of 18.5 cm width, the block is 100% on the belly does not cover the chest.

I was able to bare it for 1 minute without belly damage. In contrary, a rock of 60 kg put on the belly* will crush the belly immediately.

*A rock of 60 has a big volume. An alternative is two loads are fixed on both ends of a bar, 30 kg for each end. Then putting a piece of wood of 18.5 cm width on the belly finally putting the bar on the piece of wood. The piece of wood and the block in my experiment are of the same width 18.5 cm, this is to create an equivalent pressure in both cases. In both cases the width is the block width 18.5 cm and the length is the belly length.

Yahya Sharif said:
My weight is 59 kg
Hit the gym bro! Get some strong abz :)

60 kg dumbell on my hairy belly tomorrow! Very small area too. Hope I survive

Yahya Sharif said:
In contrary, a rock of 60 kg put on the belly* will crush the belly immediately.
No. I gave you evidence with that 100 kg barbell. Provide a reference for that insane statement or stop trolling

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Ibix
Yahya Sharif said:
I'm not sure about a human standing on another human but if you use a rock the belly will damage severely.
At this point, this claim is just stupid in my opinion. I've posted photographic evidence of my own belly easily supporting 16% of the weight you say should crush me fatally. It's got a comparable pressure to your 18cm×18cm rock. I've told of supporting 40kg on my belly. I've told you where you can find videos of people supporting much higher weights, and malawi_glenn has posted videos of the same and has volunteered to place a 60kg weight on himself to demonstrate that he can survive it. And the only reason I'm not volunteering myself is that I don't have a 60kg weight to use.

Likes russ_watters and malawi_glenn
I don't even know what is the issue here?
That water pressure is not "real" pressure?

I gave a good analogy with the sand, no respone
1659286822709.png

The peak pressure of this hit is more than 60kg on 18cm x 18 cm

The guy who was hit got a bruse, but no internal injuries and certaintly no death

Likes russ_watters and Ibix
malawi_glenn said:
60 kg dumbell on my hairy belly tomorrow! Very small area too. Hope I survive
Thanks, I'm waiting.

Yahya Sharif said:
Thanks, I'm waiting.
And I am waiting for your response regarding the hip thruster

Yahya Sharif said:
In contrary, a rock of 60 kg put on the belly* will crush the belly immediately.
First of all, no, it will not. That is an imaginary experimental result for which a real experiment is available.

Second, it is a slightly unfair comparison. On a supine human there is some stress already on the belly simply from laying supine. The belly must support itself in addition to any applied load.

Likes russ_watters
malawi_glenn said:
Here is a guy performing hip thrusters with 100kg barbell. The contact area is about 200 cm2 which results in pressure ~ 50 kPa

perhaps those are actually green plates (10kg) which he painted blue and wrote "20kg" on? And use a "womens" barbell (15kg). That would make the total weight equate to 55kg. Or, this is also the case of some serious hollywooding.

The thighs are not sensitive as a belly. I made a video (post #109) of me lying on the concrete block with my weight of 59 kg and I bare it for 1 minute without stomach damage, the equivalent is putting a rock of 59 kg on the belly.

Yahya Sharif said:
The thighs are not sensitive as a belly
He has the bar on the belly.
BTW the dude in the video, Daniel, is kinda hardcore at the gym, have met him a few times at some conventions. No idea why he is using the sissy-pad for this. Its just 100 kg.
Some people perform the excerise with the bar placed on the hip-bone, then you might need the sissy-pad. But not Daniel, he is the real deal!
Yahya Sharif said:
I bare it for 1 minute without stomach damage
your flesh is weak.Perhaps I can shoot a photo tonight of me lying on my stomach on a small stool. My body weight is +100kg

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
malawi_glenn said:
He has the bar on the belly.
In fact he has the bar in the place just between the belly and the thighs. This movement will cause the bar to roll on this place. This place is much stronger than the belly it has bones.
malawi_glenn said:
Perhaps I can shoot a photo tonight of me lying on my stomach on a small stool. My body weight is +100kg
The stool must be small in area that does not touch the chest the chest is strong and can bare your weight. So the measurement will not be accurate.

Yahya Sharif said:
This place is much stronger than the belly it has bones.
Point is, for the majority of the movement, the bar is placed above an area of the body that is not supported by bones. I do that excerise myself regularly.

Yahya Sharif said:
The stool must be small in area that does not touch the chest the chest is strong and can bare your weight.

Here is pic of me lying on a stool with about 20 cm x 20 cm area of contact.
Had no contact with any bone in my body.
1659291983135.png

This is the most pointless picture I have ever taken. My wife thought I was more crazy than usual.
I told her "Now I am going to die according to some kid on the internet and internet is always right"

I dedicate this one to @Ibix and @Orodruin

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, jbriggs444, nasu and 3 others
I did not die, but I just had dinner so it was not very pleasant to lie there for 1 min.
You have to eat protein rich food to get big and strong. My dinner was 0.5 kg quark and 0.3 kg swedish blueberries, some rice cakes with own made hummus. Do not neglect the veggies and healty fats (whatever that means). Avocado oil is my new favorite. I have about one tablespoon two times per day. Aim for about 1.5 grams protein / kg body weight. Drink plenty of water.

I guess thread can be closed since it is now proven that belly is not destroyed.
Paper will appear on arXiv on tueseday!

Likes russ_watters and Yahya Sharif
malawi_glenn said:
I did not die
Are you absolutely certain? This might be the afterlife.

Orodruin said:
Are you absolutely certain? This might be the afterlife.
Multiverse

malawi_glenn said:
View attachment 305161
I did not die
Thanks a lot I appreciate it,
But this is not the idea you should not die you will just feel some pain without belly damage. You will damage your belly if you put a +100 kg rock " equals to your weight" on your belly. Post #109
You lie on the belly " your picture" by +100 kg weight you do not hurt your stomach. You put the same weight as a rock of +100 kg on your belly, that will damage your belly severely. Big different scenarios even though both are of the same mass.

Yahya Sharif said:
you will just feel some pain
The only thing I felt was my quark comming up

Yahya Sharif said:
You put the same weight as a rock of +100 kg on your belly, that will damage your belly severely. Big different scenarios even though both are of the same mass.
Obvious trolling.
I can go and get a tractor tire of weight ~180 kg and roll it up my stomach. Then you will say it is not good because tractor tires are round or whatever

Likes russ_watters and nasu
malawi_glenn said:
Paper will appear on arXiv on tueseday!
What does this mean?

Yahya Sharif said:
What does this mean?
It is a research paper preprint server

malawi_glenn said:
It is a research paper preprint server
I made this discovery. I must be one of the authors at least.

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy
Yahya Sharif said:
I made this discovery. I must be one of the authors at least.
We will share the Nobel Prize, welcome to Stockholm! You can stand on my belly as much as you want!

Likes Yahya Sharif
malawi_glenn said:
Obvious trolling.
Yep. Thread is closed; warning is pending. Everybody have a good day. :smile:

Likes russ_watters