Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force vector accuracy

1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    I am trying to build a couple bicycle racks and need help confirming that I got the forces right. The area in question is at the bottom assuming the reaction force will be to the right for the matter of balancing the moment. It's been a while since I took classical physics, so please correct me if I'm wrong. The diagram is showing one long vertical 2x4 set alongside a garage door track (Fr) along with the cross-sections of other timbers at the top and bottom. I am trying to be sure on what side to put the smaller stop block at the bottom.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The bike will exert a torque on the wall to make it tip over towards the right - ie rotate clockwise. Assuming you have in some way applied a force at the top to stop it falling to the right, the stop block at the bottom looks like it is in the correct place, as the bottom of the wall will be pushing to the left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook