Force vs Position Spring Graph Discrepancy Question

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of oscillating a spring attached to a force sensor and position sensor, which were zeroed at the spring's equilibrium. The resulting graph showed a non-perfect line, which the individual was curious about from a physics standpoint. The explanation given was that the deviation from a perfect line is due to dissipation mechanisms such as friction, internal heating, and sound. It was also mentioned that the energy lost each cycle is equal to the area inside the loop on the graph. Finally, it was noted that the force sensor may also have its own hysteresis if it is piezoelectric.
Robert Hilderman
I oscillated a spring attached to a force sensor above a position sensor. The position and force sensors were zeroed at the spring's equilibrium. The graph below was my result. I'm wondering as to why the graph isn't a perfect line. It makes sense that the force applied on the force sensor would be lower when the spring is rebounding up but I'm not sure why from a physics standpoint. Thanks so much
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pSJvRaEHX9vfzt94ZjtmS-5aAOg45ejXglriQTtsYUT41xvIa9L3Bi2X4oOJeyybPKxDadH0pVmdPIjFUcGHuOV7yZYkHGTTekWdoxLd3qzJrCBnrxPUXoD-c93zRtKOwPTHa38a

Physics news on Phys.org
That is from all of the dissipation mechanisms. Friction, internal heating, sound, etc. I believe that the area inside the loop is equal to the energy lost each cycle.

If your force sensor is piezoelectric, it has its own hysteresis as well.

1. What is a force vs position spring graph discrepancy?

A force vs position spring graph discrepancy refers to a difference or inconsistency between the expected results of a spring experiment and the actual results obtained from the experiment. This could be due to errors in measurement, experimental setup, or other factors.

2. How is a force vs position spring graph discrepancy determined?

A force vs position spring graph discrepancy is determined by comparing the expected results of an experiment (based on theoretical calculations or previous data) to the results obtained from the actual experiment. If there is a significant difference between the two, a discrepancy is present.

3. What are some possible reasons for a force vs position spring graph discrepancy?

There are several possible reasons for a force vs position spring graph discrepancy, including measurement errors, experimental setup errors, environmental factors (such as temperature or humidity), and limitations of the equipment used in the experiment.

4. How can a force vs position spring graph discrepancy be minimized?

To minimize a force vs position spring graph discrepancy, it is important to carefully plan and execute the experiment, ensuring that all measurements are accurate and the experimental setup is as precise as possible. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any outliers.

5. What steps can be taken to troubleshoot a force vs position spring graph discrepancy?

If a force vs position spring graph discrepancy is observed, it is important to carefully analyze the experimental setup and data to identify any potential sources of error. This could involve double-checking measurements, recalibrating equipment, or adjusting experimental procedures. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from colleagues or consult relevant literature for guidance.