Forces acting on an inclined object

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a box on a frictionless surface at an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. The box is pushed by a horizontal force and is moving at a constant speed. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using the formula Fnet = ma and making a drawing to understand the forces involved. The final solution involves resolving the horizontal force into components that are perpendicular and parallel to the incline.
tascja

Homework Statement

There is a box on a frictionless surface that forms an angle of 37 with the horizontal. the box is pushed by a horizontal force (acting on the left top corner) such that it moves with a constant speed. If the mass of the object is 66.2 kg, calculate the magnitude of the external force.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
** Note my coordinate system is lined up so that the x-axis is parallel to the angled surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i knew what i was doing, but i can seem to get the right answer,

for the system Fnet = 0 *constant velocity, means acceleration= 0
Fnet = Fext - (x-component of gravity)

Fext = (x-component of gravity)
(x-component of Fg) = m*g*sin37 = 390 N

Could someone please explain where I am going wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tascja said:

Homework Statement

There is a box on a frictionless surface that forms an angle of 37 with the horizontal. the box is pushed by a horizontal force (acting on the left top corner) such that it moves with a constant speed. If the mass of the object is 66.2 kg, calculate the magnitude of the external force.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
** Note my coordinate system is lined up so that the x-axis is parallel to the angled surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i knew what i was doing, but i can seem to get the right answer,

for the system Fnet = 0 *constant velocity, means acceleration= 0
Fnet = Fext - (x-component of gravity)

Fext = (x-component of gravity)
(x-component of Fg) = m*g*sin37 = 390 N

Could someone please explain where I am going wrong? Thanks

If the force is acting horizontally what is its component || along the incline that is balancing the m*g*sinθ ?

would the || component be: m*g / sinθ ?

tascja said:
would the || component be: m*g / sinθ ?

No. Sounds like guessing to me.

The component of the horizontal force F is what you are looking for. It is acting up the incline to balance the m*g*sinθ that's acting down the incline.

Make a drawing.

i don't think i understand then... isn't the only force opposing the component of the external force= m*g*sinθ ? so wouldn't the external force just equal that in magnitude?

Last edited:
tascja said:
i don't think i understand then... isn't the only force opposing the component of the external force= m*g*sinθ ? so wouldn't the external force just equal that in magnitude?

Half right. The horizontal force is ... well ... horizontal. So what part of that acts up the incline to balance the downward effect of gravity.

so can i use a triangle that has the external force horizontal, a vertical force which would be mg and the component of external force that is inclined?
and then the angle between the incline and the external force would be θ?

please correct me as I am more than often wrong when i try to draw the right-angle triangles to use, this is usually what messes me up

tascja said:
so can i use a triangle that has the external force horizontal, a vertical force which would be mg and the component of external force that is inclined?
and then the angle between the incline and the external force would be θ?

please correct me as I am more than often wrong when i try to draw the right-angle triangles to use, this is usually what messes me up

Well if it's horizontal then there is no vertical component. And that's the other force anyway - gravity.

No, I think you want to resolve the F into the force components that are ⊥ and || to the incline.

So which one is F*Sinθ and which is F*Cosθ ?

The one you want is the one that is || to the incline, because that's the one that equals your balance to gravity.

1. What is an inclined object?

An inclined object is an object that is not resting horizontally, but rather at an angle or incline. This angle can be measured using a protractor or other measuring tool.

2. What forces act on an inclined object?

There are two main forces acting on an inclined object: the gravitational force pulling the object downwards and the normal force pushing the object upwards, perpendicular to the surface it is resting on. Other forces, such as friction or air resistance, may also act on the object depending on the specific situation.

3. How do I calculate the components of the gravitational force on an inclined object?

The gravitational force can be broken down into two components: the force acting parallel to the incline (Fg//) and the force acting perpendicular to the incline (Fg⊥). The formula for calculating these components is Fg// = mgsinθ and Fg⊥ = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. What is the role of friction in an inclined object?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it plays an important role in the movement of an inclined object. The amount of friction present on an object depends on factors such as the type of surface the object is resting on and the weight of the object. Friction can either help to slow down the object's movement or prevent it from sliding down the incline altogether.

5. How does the acceleration of an inclined object differ from that of a horizontally resting object?

When an object is resting on a horizontal surface, the only force acting on it is its weight, and it remains at rest. In contrast, an inclined object experiences both the gravitational force and the normal force, and these forces combine to produce a net force that causes the object to accelerate down the incline. The acceleration of an inclined object is determined by the angle of the incline and the object's mass, with steeper inclines resulting in a greater acceleration.