1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and Systems Lab- Relationship questions

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    I have a lab report due tomorrow on forces. Basically, we were supposed to calculate the kinetic friction of a "frictionless" system on a level place, an incline plane accelerating upwards, and an incline plane accelerating downwards.

I solved for mk by using the equation m(at + aA)= T-(mk)mg. I also calculated for tension and acceleration.

*Please note that the first m stands for mass of the sled, the (mk) means the kinetic frictional force, and the final m is the mass of the weight attatched.

This is my data thus far:

Experimental Results:

Level:
    Acceleration: 4.89
    Tension: .72
    mk: .059

Downward Incline:
    Acceleration: 6.642
    Tension: .9798
    mk: .087

Upward Incline:
    Acceleration: 3.078
    Tension: .454
    mk: .039

Theoretical Results:

Level:
    Acceleration: 4.038
    Tension: .596
    mk: .047

Downward Incline:
    Acceleration: 5.885
    Tension: .868
    mk: .078

Upward Incline:
    Acceleration: 3.478
    Tension: .513
    mk: .045

I've made the observation that the greater the acceleration, the greater the frictional force opposing the motion of the object.

Is that correct or am I missing something? And what am I supposed to incorporate the percent error of the frictional force for?

Thanks for any help. :]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted