Optimizing Steel Cable Strength for Stopping a 17,000 lb Vehicle at 10mph

In summary, the problem presents a 17,000 lb vehicle traveling at 10mph and impacting a series of 4000lb jersey barriers connected by a 1" steel cable through the inside of the jersey barriers. The cable is anchored at each end by 22,000lb blocks with a spacing of 30 inches between the barriers. The total length of the jersey barrier and cable configuration is 100ft. The question asks for the tensile strength of the steel cable needed to stop the vehicle, assuming a modulus of elasticity of 28 x 10^3 ksi. Conservation of momentum and energy must be considered in the analysis.
swoodbury
I have a complicated problem I'd like some assistance with.

I have a 17,000 lb vehicle traveling at 10mph and impacting a series of 4000lb jersey barriers connected by a 1" steel cable through the inside of the jersey barriers. The cable will be anchored at each end by 22,000lb blocks. The spacing in between the jersey barriers is 30 inches. Total length of jersey barrier and cable configuration is 100ft. What is the tensile strength of the steel cable I need to stop the vehicle? Distance required to stop the vehicle is negligible, I just need it to stop! Assume modulus of elasticity of the steel in tension is 28 x 10^3 ksi.

I'm stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A diagram would or figure would be greatly appreciated..! ;-)

Welcome to PF;
The distance required to stop the vehicle is never negligible - the shorter the distance the more energy is expended: to stop a vehicle dead in zero distance requires infinite force.

But you should be able to work the problem in terms of conservation of momentum.
This should give you an idea pf the energies involved and thus the energy that needs to get absorbed by the cable and thus the tensile strength.

The answer to any problem such as this one will depend upon the time taken for the interaction. This is because the Momentum change is Force times time (Impulse). You would need a lot of experimenting if you wanted to find out the actual forces involved. There are so many unknowns in your model, so far.

The OP reads as if it could be seeking to analyse what went on in an accident. To make any argument stand up in court, you need a highly paid 'expert' to convince a Judge. The sum total of PF knowledge of the subject will never convince that guy. (Just so that you won't be disappointed, later.)

Since we have elastic cables, I think you need both conservation of momentum and energy.

In the case of such a collision, can we really expect the impacting vehicle to rebound with a significant amount of KE? That would sound to be a very dodgy way to design a barrier. Boing! boing!

1. What is the definition of "forces at impact on object"?

Forces at impact on object refer to the forces that act on an object when it comes into contact with another object. These forces can include tension, compression, shear, and impact forces.

2. How do forces at impact affect an object's motion?

Forces at impact can either change the direction or speed of an object's motion, or both. This depends on the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the object.

3. What factors can influence the forces at impact on an object?

The factors that can influence the forces at impact on an object include the mass and velocity of the object, the surface area and material of the object it comes into contact with, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. Can forces at impact cause damage to an object?

Yes, forces at impact can cause damage to an object depending on the magnitude and direction of the forces, as well as the strength and durability of the object. This is why it is important to consider impact forces when designing and testing objects.

5. How can we calculate the forces at impact on an object?

The forces at impact on an object can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). By measuring the mass and acceleration of an object at the moment of impact, we can calculate the forces acting on the object.