Forces between charged particles, energy is coming from nowhere?

In summary, the forces between charged particles, also known as electrostatic forces, can either increase or decrease the energy of the particles depending on whether they are attracted or repelled. This energy is not created or destroyed, but rather transferred from one form to another. The energy comes from the electric potential energy stored in the particles themselves, and is released as they move closer or further apart. The energy is also affected by the distance between the particles, with a decrease in distance leading to an increase in force and energy, and vice versa, according to Coulomb's law.
Lost4468
So I've created a program in C# with the XNA libraries which is meant to simulate motion between charged particles. I drew a pic to show the problem I'm having and how I'm moving the particle.

JvUTk.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your values and the actual working you used. For instance, the horizontal separation is (1) and (2) are both Δx ... a parameter you give the system. So the only way you get a 2 in there is if you put it there.

1. What are the forces between charged particles?

The forces between charged particles are known as electrostatic forces, which are caused by the attraction or repulsion of positive and negative charges.

2. How do these forces affect energy?

The forces between charged particles can either increase or decrease the energy of the particles. When particles with opposite charges are attracted to each other, energy is released, while particles with like charges repel each other, requiring an input of energy.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed in this process?

No, energy is not created or destroyed in the forces between charged particles. It is simply transferred from one form to another.

4. Where does the energy come from in this process?

The energy in the forces between charged particles comes from the electric potential energy stored in the particles themselves. This stored energy is released when the particles come closer together or move away from each other.

5. How does the distance between the particles affect the energy?

The energy between charged particles is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance decreases, the force and energy increase, and vice versa. This is known as Coulomb's law.