1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces involving static friction

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The floor of a railroad flatcar is loaded with loose crates having a coefficient of static friction of 0.25 with the floor. If the train is initially moving at a speed of 48 km/h, in how short a distance can the train be stopped at constant acceleration without causing the crates to slide over the floor?

2. Relevant equations
    f = [tex]\mu[/tex] F
    F = m a

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my first post so I hope did it correctly. Ok so I first tried to draw a force diagram but this is the first problem that has included a speed into it. I know its probably something simple that I'm just not thinking of but I'm having trouble seeing how I can relate speed to any of the equations in this section. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The speed will come in when you apply kinematics to find the shortest distance. But first you must find the maximum acceleration.

Hint: What force accelerates the boxes? What's the maximum value of acceleration that that force can produce?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?