Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Forces involving static friction

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The floor of a railroad flatcar is loaded with loose crates having a coefficient of static friction of 0.25 with the floor. If the train is initially moving at a speed of 48 km/h, in how short a distance can the train be stopped at constant acceleration without causing the crates to slide over the floor?

2. Relevant equations
    f = [tex]\mu[/tex] F
    F = m a

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my first post so I hope did it correctly. Ok so I first tried to draw a force diagram but this is the first problem that has included a speed into it. I know its probably something simple that I'm just not thinking of but I'm having trouble seeing how I can relate speed to any of the equations in this section. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The speed will come in when you apply kinematics to find the shortest distance. But first you must find the maximum acceleration.

Hint: What force accelerates the boxes? What's the maximum value of acceleration that that force can produce?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook