1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on systems in equilibrium

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    set up two retort stands to support a pulley and a pivot and arrange the apparatus as shown in the diagram attached... and I'm kinda stuck as to how to find the mass of the beam in this instance?

Could you give me any starting references i can work along with; torque is involved, but i just don't undersatnd because I was thinking that the involvement of the pulley is quite important?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    The first step in a problem like this is always: draw a diagram (done), and label all the forces with vectors [arrows].

So label the forces first (tensions on strings, forces of gravity, etc). Then, we know the system is in equilibrium, which means the net force is zero. That is, all the forces will cancel each other out.

This allows you to start writing relationships between the variuos forces.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?