Foreigner trying to get into MIT

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary: MIT doesn't seem to be something that you would be able to muster.In summary, you need excellent grades, test scores, and recommendations. You also need to be "special".
I agree I could do better in science and math but I really suck at second language, do universities care?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best universities will, yes. You'll want to be just as good in English as the rest of the students are, at least, written English. Your assignments and lab reports will be expected in English, and while grammar isn't the core lesson to be learned in a lab report, if you're not capable of concisely and effectively writing, it will hurt you. Not to mention you'll be learning from English books which will require a high level of reading comprehension in English.My father got into MIT, and attended (he dropped out late into his 2nd year for a variety of rather dumb reasons).

He told me something along the lines once,

"You're a valedictorian, so is everyone else. You're athletic and the star of every club, so is everyone else. You could solve any problem, so can everyone else. Everything that made you special enough to get you there ceases to feel amazing. Suddenly your a very big fish in a pond full of even bigger fish, crammed tightly enough that you're uncomfortably certain you just might not belong there.

I didn't aim to go to MIT. I aimed to be the best I could be at what I loved [physics]. I didn't chase the requirements, though I certainly was aware of them. No, instead I worked to consistently push myself. Everyday a new and harder concept. I just loved the challenge. "

Generally speaking, if you're building yourself up specifically to attend MIT, you'll be disappointed. Don't focus on that nonsense. If you're passionate about the subject, as you say, you'd study it regardless of the name of the school. Anywhere you got in would be better than none. Keep that in your heart, set it aside for later, and focus on the now.

I meant second language. Americans learn Spanish right? So do your universities care about it?

Ah I wasn't aware English was your first language.

Eh to some extent. It's a highly marketable skill, but I'm not entirely sure how valued it is by universities. I would imagine it varies. They expect some understanding (some amount of courses out of HS) but not fluent, as a general rule.

I took 6 years of French, for example. Look at specific institutions requirements, and that will let you know just how much they care.

Afrk is only spoken in SA and it's dying. The people who rule the country hate the afrikaaners because of apartheid. I can't imagine it being marketable.

Well correct, you'd want to learn a major world language.

Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese (in no particular order of importance).

Superposed_Cat said:
80% for science 77% for math 82% English 90% IT(we do Delphi) 70% Biology 50% afrikaans

You are trolling, right?

Nothing is impossible. But I think I have a better chance of playing in the NBA than you have of getting into MIT as an undergrad. And I'm 5'6" tall. And 51 years old.

If you do apply, keep in mind that there is one question you have to answer. Why you? Why not one of the other students in South Africa with better grades and better test scores? Underline that "one"... because MIT admits one student from your country every four years. Why you and why this year?

Unless you threaten the MIT admissions department, or improve your marks and be less superficial and vainglorious, I doubt your acceptance in any prestigious university.

I would have lied about my marks if I was superficial. I reiterate, I had no delusions/expectations about getting in and I was happy with the first couple of responses. If I could I would have closed this thread ages ago, and I am not vain.

That's not what was implied by superficial.

Instead, what was implied is that you're not seeing the depth of the material before jumping into the next conclusion. Not that you're vain or otherwise overly concerned with appearance. But rather that you aren't looking past the surface of the situation.

Study the maths, focus on improving your marks and becoming a well rounded young adult, and you'll find a place in a university somewhere.

I don't get any particular pleasure in kicking you while you are down or namecalling you but you really should just work at getting into A university.

However these threads are read by others with different grades and for them I would suggest they get in contact with someone in an olympiad that they are interested in. If you do well you will get to meet people from your home country who have got into MIT or Caltech etc and you can get advice tailored to your home country and be part of a network of people who are well connected and experienced at getting into these schools. Dont bother asking in a forum on the internet where you are more likely to be given at best a morsel of advice and most likely be given information about domestic admissions which is different than international (a much higher acceptance rate domestically and more knowledge from admissions people about the US education system and how to compare students within it).

You said you had studied up to and including linear algebra. You also said you were doing QM soon. Therefore, you should have learned CM already. Yet your marks scarcely support your claim. Sounds pretty superficial to me.

Shivam3013 said:
You said you had studied up to and including linear algebra. You also said you were doing QM soon. Therefore, you should have learned CM already. Yet your marks scarcely support your claim. Sounds pretty superficial to me.
A less confrontational way of making your point would of been to frame it in terms of what he should do not what he is doing. You could just suggest he work at learning those topics at greater depth or practicing them until he has near perfect grades.

He should work at perfecting his grades and test scores and seek some type of mentor in his home country.

No I am not learning CM nor have I nor did I ever say I had. Here physics and chem are one subject. I get average for chem and good marks for physics.

I don't mind people insulting me if what they are saying is fact. I.e. I'm fat, my mom's a slag ect. but I don't like people dissing me on opinion. especially if you don't know me.

HayleySarg said:
Just a suggestion, but perhaps try creating something you're passionate about. Some sort of simulation or
Hence me wanting to learn c++, it's the fastest language I've heard of and seems the best for simulations.

Vanadium 50 said:
Of course they care. Particularly elite universities. They will be asking questions like.
I long since gave up on the oversees universities, I just don't like the local ones because this country is so obsessed with engineering, nothing wrong with engineers of course but physics it's just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the people in here aren't "dissing you."

They're attempting to provide constructive criticism and advice.

Yes I know but the one or two that imply I'm superficial and egotistical. obviously me having no hope is fact so I don't mind people saying that.

Superposed_Cat said:
I'm good at physics. I'm 16 now so not near university. I've studyed calculus and linear algebra so as to start studying QM. Science is my passion.

What is this then? I am not trying to put you down, but please do not lie.

You're misunderstanding what people meant by superficial.

"Superficial: not studying or looking at something thoroughly; seeing only what is obvious"

Source: http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/superficial

Okay, apologies.

Just try to improve your grades, and if possible, relearn some of your foundation-material such algebra - since you learned from resources such as KA, increase your ECs etc. Doing this will require effort, but will improve your chances of getting into a prestigious university.

EC's?

Extracurriculars such as sports, clubs etc. I don't know about ECs in South Africa though...

Superposed_Cat said:
I agree I could do better in science and math but I really suck at second language, do universities care?

Of course they care. Particularly elite universities. They will be asking questions like.

Are you the sort of student who performs well only doing things he likes?
Are you the sort of student who could do better...but doesn't?

I ha a bout of depression for two years and became too wrapped up in it to care about anything for a while. But I'm improving now. As for ec's I play chess and enter whatever I.T. competitions are available (I love programming, main language C#, want to start C++ though).

Just a suggestion, but perhaps try creating something you're passionate about. Some sort of simulation or useful applet. Or perhaps something to streamline the education in your area.

Programming is a powerful skill. The top universities are looking for people who apply themselves, and as corny as it sounds, make a difference. Not a 2 or 3 sentence long difference on a resume or application... no... a real difference that will impact their community for years.

Shivam3013 said:
please do not lie.
People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I think this thread highlights an interesting question: what's the right balance of aptitude vs. achievement for top universities? Does an applicants contributions to their community or field supplement any deficit in the applicant's perceived aptitude? Vise versa? And for mere "slightly above average" mortals coming from mediocre public high schools seeking physics degrees, is the 4-5 year, full time student model appropriate? And where does Socio-Eco status fit in? I ask because some of you may have experience and I'm curious myself.

One thing OP should do is some self-reflection and ask himself if he is at the level of the typical admitted MIT. Perhaps you have the aptitude, but are you as mature, as accomplished, and as hard-working as the typical first year student at these schools? Perhaps another environment where you have greater liberty to explore yourself, your passions, and your interests will suit your development better than MIT. Especially if you aren't competitive anyway...

To the OP: to be brutally frank, your grades aren't nearly good enough to get into MIT or anything like it. Out of the people from my country at my university, the lowest scoring one who wasn't a recruited athlete came in the 99.8th percentile in high school. He had other things going for him though. From your grades, it doesn't sound like you're in with a chance.

Thank you but as I'm saying for the third time: a) I was happy with the first couple of answers b) I didn't expect to and had no delusions off getting in, it seems as though those posts have disappeared.

Worth noting that different countries/schools/exam boards have different grading systems. A 16/20 on the French Baccalaureate is a very good score, while 80% in the US is what...a B?

Superposed_Cat, here's the deal. If your main hobby is programming, and you're applying to any of the top 20 US colleges, the admissions office will most likely compare you to other kids whose hobby is "programming". And successful (even unsuccessful) applicants to those schools have usually taken their hobby as far as the resources they were allocated with could take them, and then maybe some more. Case in point: the guy who wrote a book about game programming got into Stanford. And MIT's admissions office mentions the guy who built a functioning nuclear reactor who was rejected.

Another example is community service. While showing up every other day to help old people is a great thing, it is insignificant from a "get into a top college perspective", as there are kids who've done community service which had a state or country wide impact.

So, buckle down, pick something and work hard it. But for your own sake. Do it for yourself, not because you think MIT might like it.

The bottom line is you like physics. Guess what? You don't need MIT for that. Just do physics. How? Learn the math (consolidate the basics like trig, geometry, and especially algebra first), and then pick up a book. Heck, use MIT Open Courseware.

At the same time, figure out how to take things to the next level. When you can program C++ and have a code portfolio, e-mail professors/postdocs at local universities and ask if they have a job for someone who's looking for some experience. Don't mention you're in high school and let your code speak for you. I have no experience with that, but that's what I'd do.

Don't get too involved in things you cannot control, like what arbitrary things X school will want with you. A good idea is to just achieve stuff, and then make 10-20 applications (you'll need that many if you're looking for a lot of aid), and let the chips fall where they may.

What you can control is: how you spend your time. Will you spend it debating what ifs or will you spend it studying and exploring your interests?

If I could go back a year or two and talk to my self of then, I would slap him a few times and tell him the same. Other people here had advice along the same lines. I didn't listen. I still got into university somewhere, and I am happy with the outcome. I am also glad on some levels that I didn't listen. I learned a few things. But, if I had been wiser, my current situation would be better.

Anyway, I'll stop here. Regret is not useful after a certain point. Accept reality, and work your way from there.

Good luck.