Foreshortening - mirror vs photo/video

• Thread starter JohnJa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the question is whether there is more foreshortening when looking in a mirror compared to a video or photograph. The answer is that there is no foreshortening in a vertical plane mirror, as your image will appear at the same distance as you are from the mirror. The angle from your eyes to your reflection will be the same as if you were looking at an identical twin standing 2x feet away. This is also the perspective that most closely represents what others would see as you walk towards them.
JohnJa
Hi,

Is there more foreshortening when I look in the mirror than when I look at a video or photograph of myself.

For example, if I am naked, or with bare legs, and I walk towards a mirror, will my knees look lower to me than if I watch a video of myself walking towards the camera? (assuming the camera is at my eye level.)

And if so, which of these two perspectives more closely represents reality? / Represents what another person would see as I walk towards them?

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about distortions introduced by video, but your image in a vertical plane mirror will not be foreshortened. If you are x feet from a plane mirror, your image (identical in size to the original you) will appear to be x feet on the other side of the mirror (that is, 2x feet away from you).

Thanks Doc Al,

I was thinking that if my image in the mirror is 2x feet away, but the angle from my eyes to the reflection of my knees would still be equivalent to the angle at x feet, then that might make my knees seem lower?

Or is the angle from my eyes to my knees in the mirror less steep than it would be if I was looking at my identical twin at x feet? Because my knees are effectively 2x feet away?

Looking at your image in the mirror (when you're x feet from the mirror) is exactly like looking at an identical twin standing 2x feet away.

1. What is foreshortening?

Foreshortening is a technique used in art and photography to create the illusion of depth and perspective by depicting objects or figures as closer or farther away than they actually are. It is achieved by compressing the image along the visual plane, making it appear shorter or longer than it is in reality.

2. How does foreshortening differ in a mirror versus a photo or video?

In a mirror, foreshortening is created by the angle at which we are viewing the reflection, while in a photo or video, it is created by the lens and the distance between the camera and the subject. This means that the amount of foreshortening can vary significantly between a mirror and a photo or video of the same subject.

3. Which method is more accurate for foreshortening: a mirror or a photo/video?

Neither method is more accurate than the other. Both a mirror and a photo/video can create accurate foreshortening depending on the angle and distance they are used at. However, a photo or video may be more consistent in its results as it is not dependent on the viewer's angle or distance from the subject.

4. Can foreshortening be manipulated in a photo or video?

Yes, foreshortening can be manipulated in a photo or video through various techniques such as changing the lens or camera angle, using editing software, or using props or models to create the desired effect. This allows for more control and precision in creating the illusion of depth and perspective.

5. Why is understanding foreshortening important for scientists?

Foreshortening is important for scientists, especially those in fields such as anatomy or archaeology, as it can affect the perception and interpretation of objects or specimens in images. Understanding foreshortening can help scientists accurately measure and analyze objects in photos or videos, leading to more accurate and reliable data.