Formal term for cross-polarization effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a formal term to describe the effect of a screen appearing black when viewed through polarized sun glasses. While there are various terms such as "polarisation discrimination," "cross polarization," and "extinction," the preferred term for this phenomenon is "cross-polarization effect." The speaker also suggests that the term may vary depending on the context and advises the friend to do further research on the topic.
nrb
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine attending university in Japan is trying to write a paper in English discussing the effect that occurs when looking at a screen through polarized sun glasses (i.e. it looks dark or black).

She is looking for a formal term that specifically addresses the screen appearing black, rather than the cross-polarization that underlies the effect. The phenomenon rather than it's mechanics.

Is there a formal term for that? Occlusion doesn't sound like it would be right, but maybe it is; I am not a scientist (only trying to help out).

- nrb

Science news on Phys.org
"Polarisation discrimination"?
"Cancellation of cross polar component"?
But the term "Cross Polarisation" is used in the contexts of Light and RF, so what's wrong with it?

Likes davenn
Hi sophiecentaur and e-pie,

On the basis of your feedback she's going to go with "cross-polarization effect" and "cross-polarization problem" in her paper.

Apparently they have a specific word for this in Japanese, and she was looking for a precise equivalent in English. That said, I think this will be fine.

Thank you very much for your input. I recognize this isn't exactly exciting stuff.

- nrb

I have also come across the term "Cross polar rejection".
There is a range of terms and the context of a well written article will resolve any possible confusion. I would suggest that your friend reads around. Google search and then a search of each document can save time when you are after a specific word and its uses.

Extinction. I think this is the word used by researchers like Faraday.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is cross-polarization effect?

Cross-polarization effect is a phenomenon that occurs when electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves, are reflected or transmitted through a medium in a direction perpendicular to their original polarization. This results in a decrease in signal strength or quality.

2. What is the formal term for cross-polarization effect?

The formal term for cross-polarization effect is cross-polarization discrimination (XPD). This term is commonly used in the fields of optics, wireless communication, and satellite imaging.

3. How does cross-polarization effect affect wireless communication?

In wireless communication, cross-polarization effect can cause interference and signal loss between transmitting and receiving antennas. This can lead to a decrease in data transmission rates and overall network performance.

4. What are the factors that contribute to cross-polarization effect?

The main factors that contribute to cross-polarization effect include the angle of incidence, the reflectivity and orientation of the reflecting surface, and the polarization properties of the incident and reflected waves.

5. How can cross-polarization effect be mitigated?

Cross-polarization effect can be mitigated through the use of polarizing filters, proper antenna alignment, and the design of antennas with improved polarization characteristics. In satellite imaging, advanced algorithms and software can also be used to correct for cross-polarization effects in captured images.