Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Forming an orthogonal matrix whose 1st column is a given unit vector

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if the vector [tex]\textbf{v}_1[/tex] is a unit vector (presumably in [tex]\Re^n[/tex]) then we can find an orthogonal matrix [tex]\textit{A}[/tex] that has as its first column the vector [tex]\textbf{v}_1[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    This seems to be trivially easy. Suppose we have a basis [tex]\beta[/tex] for [tex]\Re^n[/tex]. We may apply the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process to [tex]\beta[/tex] with [tex]\textbf{v}_1[/tex] as the generating vector and normalise the resultant orthogonal basis to obtain an orthonormal basis [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Choose [tex]\textit{A}[/tex] such that the elements of [tex]\gamma[/tex] comprise the columns of [tex]\textit{A}[/tex].

QED

-------------------------------

So what am I overlooking?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Nothing- although I would say "Let [itex]\beta[/itex] be a basis for R containing v1..."

4. Dec 1, 2006 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

Another candidate is any rotation matrix which rotates the vector [1,0,0,...] into v_1.

5. Dec 1, 2006 #4
    Thanks. I thought I had made a huge assumption somewhere.

StatusX, yes that's a simpler possibility indeed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook